This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

x265 Encoding: Bit rate affects the colors?
Hello,

Is bitrate taking influence of the Colors? I was encoding Star Trek: Picard x265 with 1200 Kbit on 1920x1080 and the colors was fine and like 98% in the Original. When i was encoding the same Video in a bitrate of 750, the Colors was Lighter and faded out and some light finest details in face was missing, but it was still looking good in terms for details.

Is there a context of Bitrate using and Colors?

I using that options

[Image: S3phmr.jpg]

Friendly Greetings
karthauzi
no, there is no correlation between bit rate and color.

Quote:the Colors was Lighter and faded out and some light finest details in face was missing
sounds more like a tv vs pc scale issue, but the flagging Hybrid uses does not change depending on the bit rate,..
So assuming you encoded the save source with the same settings (aside from the bit rate) there shouldn't be any color changes.

Cu Selur
(29.05.2021, 15:48)Selur Wrote: no, there is no correlation between bit rate and color.

Quote:the Colors was Lighter and faded out and some light finest details in face was missing
sounds more like a tv vs pc scale issue, but the flagging Hybrid uses does not change depending on the bit rate,..
So assuming you encoded the save source with the same settings (aside from the bit rate) there shouldn't be any color changes.

Cu Selur

Same Settings, same Software to view Videos, vlc.

https://imgur.com/a/J1CmHMX

The first one is 1200 and the second is 750
That looks like a color matrix or overlay issue,...
I hope you didn't open two vlc instances at the same time, since then the colors will be off since the iirc vlcs overlay handling changes.
(media player are not really useful when comparing colors)

That said:
a. look at the headers of the files using mediaInfo (the 'Encoding settings' should be the same aside from the bit rate)
b. look at the encoding calls in Hybrids Jobs tab (by disabling 'Minimize job command line') the calls should be identical aside from the file names and the bit rates

Cu Selur
(29.05.2021, 16:23)Selur Wrote: That looks like a color matrix or overlay issue,...
I hope you didn't open two vlc instances at the same time, since then the colors will be off since the iirc vlcs overlay handling changes.
(media player are not really useful when comparing colors)

That said:
a. look at the headers of the files using mediaInfo (the 'Encoding settings' should be the same aside from the bit rate)
b. look at the encoding calls in Hybrids Jobs tab (by disabling 'Minimize job command line') the calls should be identical aside from the file names and the bit rates

Cu Selur

Hi, thanks for your response,

i found a difference in MediaInfo, the Matrix coefficients are different, but i dont know why, i used the same settings with Hybrid.

Maybe Hybrid is setting that automatically? I touched anything, only bitrate 750 down from 1200

[Image: 60shiq.jpg]

Maybe this automatically changed because of the Quantizazion of the lower Bitrate to save Bitrate? I have no Idea, i just googled a bit about it. Adaptive Quantization?
I don't think there is any code in Hybrid that changes the matrix depend on the bitrate.
You can set the color matrix that is signaled under 'x265->Signaling->Video Usability Information'.

Cu Selur
(29.05.2021, 18:26)Selur Wrote: I don't think there is any code in Hybrid that changes the matrix depend on the bitrate.
You can set the color matrix that is signaled under 'x265->Signaling->Video Usability Information'.

Cu Selur

Hello Selur,

I have Encoded the same Video again, in 900 Kbit. The colors are good now like in the the 1200 Kbit one, i have no Idea what causes that problem, it might not hybrid either a internal setting of the Plugin!? Very Strange behaviour.

Im Using the old 2015 Hybrid, because of the 16 bit Calculation Precision you know. I Found the Video usability Informations, i will test Full Color Range for testing purposes next time, but i want to know the reason for this.

I will encode it even more once in 750 kbit again with the same settings to exclude any mistake by any setting i have "maybe" touched...

Greetings
Might be a bug in Hybrid no clue what the version of 2015 does.

Cu Selur
(30.05.2021, 13:35)Selur Wrote: Might be a bug in Hybrid no clue what the version of 2015 does.

Cu Selur

Seems to be a bug in Hybrid 2015, i encoded the same Video once again in 750kbit and Colors and Matrix coefficient are ok now.