This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[BUG] QSVEnc doesn't works
iirc. you need some additional MetaData for HDR10 (or was it HDR10+) like you can add in x265 using '--dhdr10-info <filename>', which QSVEncC doesn't support atm. just setting the colormatrix, colorprim and transfer options never is enough,...

Cu Selur
(01.09.2018, 07:04)Selur Wrote: iirc. you need some additional MetaData for HDR10 (or was it HDR10+) like you can add in x265 using '--dhdr10-info <filename>', which QSVEncC doesn't support atm. just setting the colormatrix, colorprim and transfer options never is enough,...

I needed to set the mastering display and sometimes the max-cll option values depending on the metadata present in the movie.
Adding the -hdr option alone might work but I thought signalling empty SIE data would not give a proper presentation so I didn't try that … and in fact didn't even check if that option was present in QSVEncC.

Maybe it was HDR10+, using the above settings, so far (and I've only done a few movies) I thought it was working ok but the presentation might be off, not sure, certainly my Apple TV 4K and my TV change automatically to HDR.

My sons Xbox One X played one movie ok (first one I did which didn't have any SIE settings but played correctly, odd) but now goes to buffering all the time, apparently a known Plex player problem … sigh.
For normal HDR min&max luma and the master display infos should be defined. In case this isn't the case some players will guess the vui and 'supplemental enhancement information (SEI)' information when told to interpret the input as HDR.

Cu Selur
(01.09.2018, 18:10)Selur Wrote: For normal HDR min&max luma and the master display infos should be defined. In case this isn't the case some players will guess the vui and 'supplemental enhancement information (SEI)' information when told to interpret the input as HDR.

Hehe, it's easy to see I don't know much about video processing, I don't even now much about the encoding algorithms, which means I don't know what many of the encoding options mean either, with x264 it was always fairly easy to just chose a suitable crf and go.

But having said that isn't it more or less impossible to guess these?

The things most likely to be different appear to be the master display luminance and the average and maximum light levels.

Isn't the luminance of the master display taken from the device itself, and the average and maximum light levels calculated by inspecting all the frames after the movie has been created?

I seem to recall that not setting the luminance correctly on an encode made a noticable difference.

Anyway, this is getting a bit off topic, Wink

Ian
Quote:But having said that isn't it more or less impossible to guess these?
Guessing them intelligently: yes
Guessing them: No. For min/max Luma a fallback might be 1000/400. Wink

Quote:I seem to recall that not setting the luminance correctly on an encode made a noticable difference.
It does! That is the point. Smile Some players might guess some values in case they are not present, but whether the output looks like it was intended by the one who originally mastered the content is a totally different thing.

-> make sure to set all your content signaling settings properly, just because device X shows something HDR like, that doesn't mean that:
a. other devices will show the same
b. you did a proper job Smile

Cu Selur
(02.09.2018, 08:10)Selur Wrote:
Quote:But having said that isn't it more or less impossible to guess these?
Guessing them intelligently: yes
Guessing them: No. For min/max Luma a fallback might be 1000/400. Wink

Quote:I seem to recall that not setting the luminance correctly on an encode made a noticable difference.
It does! That is the point. Smile Some players might guess some values in case they are not present, but whether the output looks like it was intended by the one who originally mastered the content is a totally different thing.

-> make sure to set all your content signaling settings properly, just because device X shows something HDR like, that doesn't mean that:
a. other devices will show the same
b. you did a proper job Smile

I worked out these settings where needed right from the first HDR movie I encoded because things wouldn't trigger HDR or if they did they would often look off, Wink

What I do now is look at the movie metadata and set them according to that.
But, with your comment above I'm now wondering if I should set a luma fallback when it isn't specified in the metadata?

Yeah, I'm working out what I need to do to produce a proper encode now,  Big Grin 

Ian