This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[BUG] x264 rc-lookahead value
Set rc-lookahead to 40 in Hybrid, and the value of it in the encoded file always be 60.
Quote:Set rc-lookahead to 40 in Hybrid, and the value of it in the encoded file always be 60.
Hybrid doesn't show '--rc-lookahead 40' inside the command line since it's the default value:
Quote:--rc-lookahead <integer> Number of frames for frametype lookahead [40]
If you apply a preset, this might change.

What I tried to reproduce this is:
  1. start Hybrid
  2. loaded a source
  3. set x264->Base->General Settings->Encoding mode to 'constant rate factor (1-pass)' to get a shorter command line, which gave me:
    x264 --crf 18.00 --profile high --level 4.1 --direct auto --sync-lookahead 27 --qcomp 0.5 --no-mbtree --partitions i4x4,p8x8,b8x8 --no-fast-pskip --subme 5 --trellis 0 --weightp 1 --aq-mode 0 --vbv-maxrate 62500 --vbv-bufsize 78125 --sar 1:1 --qpfile GENERATED_QP_FILE --non-deterministic --range tv --colormatrix bt470bg --demuxer raw --input-res 640x480 --input-csp i420 --input-depth 8 --fps 25 --output-depth 8 --output "H:\Temp\Test-AC3-5.1_new.264" -
  4. since no preset was applied, 'x264->Rate Control->Settings->Lookahead (frames)' is set to 40 and not shown inside the command line.
  5. set an output
  6. added a job to the job queue
  7. started the job
  8. waited for it to finish
  9. looked at the output using mediainfo to look at the 'Encoding settings'-info
'Encoding settings' shows:
Quote:Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x111 / me=hex / subme=5 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=15 / lookahead_threads=3 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=0 / crf=18.0 / qcomp=0.50 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=62500 / vbv_bufsize=78125 / crf_max=0.0 / nal_hrd=none / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=0
which looks right to me.

Note that:
  • applying 'preset slower/veryslow/placebo' does change the lookahead to 60 and the lookahead doesn't still show up in the command line since the presets change the assumed defaults.
  • if you are confused by Hybrid minimizing the command line for presets&co, you can disable 'x264->Misc->Main->Adjustments->Minimize command line' to see and Hybrid using an unshortened command line.

-> Can't reproduce that the output always shows 60 without further details.
So please provide more details into how you produce the problem.

Cu Selur
I guess the issue is just like what you said:

when 'x264->Misc->Main->Adjustments->Minimize command line' is enabled, Hybrid always minimize the rc-lookahead value in the command line when it is the default value of the current preset, or it is 40.

So if I:

1. Enable 'x264->Misc->Main->Adjustments->Minimize command line'
2. Apply a preset whose rc-lookahead value is not 40
3. Manually sets rc-lookahead to 40 by Hybrid GUI interface option
4. Encode a file, whose rc-lookahead value will be the default value ot current preset
5. Disable 'x264->Misc->Main->Adjustments->Minimize command line'
6. Encode again and save to a different file, whose rc-lookahead value will be 40 now

This looks like a bug to me about the 'x264->Misc->Main->Adjustments->Minimize command line' option.

Of course, if 'x264->Misc->Main->Adjustments->Minimize command line' is disabled, everything will be fine.
Will look into it over the weekend and report back.

Cu Selur