This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

FLAC 16 bits vs 24 bits
I'm encoding untouched audio 48 kHz/16-bit, DTS-HD MA 2.0, ~698 kbps to FLAC

When using 16 BPS (same as source) mediainfo shows the FLAC file as Processed by SoX, writing library Lavf58.65.100

When I change to 24 BPS, mediainfo shows  Writing library : libFLAC 1.3.3 (UTC 2019-08-04)

How to make Hybrid encode 16 BPS the same way as 24 BPS ??
By Default Hybrid uses FFmpeg for Flac encoding.
But since FFmpeg doesn't support 24bit Flac encoding, Hybrid uses flac directly for encoding for 24bit.
Atm. there is no way for the user to control this behavior.

Why do you need this?

Cu Selur
I see.

Any change in quality between those two ?
No, they both use the same library in the backend, ffmpeg simply doesn't support the 24bit part.

Cu Selur
Could the compression size be a little different between those two ?
16bit and 24bit should differ in size.
Encoding the same content with 16bit through ffmpeg and flac should not (assuming no dithering or similar is added).

Cu Selur
Ok, thank you Smile