This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[HELP] Bitrates (NVEncC)
Hi,

I encoded with NVEnc, codec = h265 with "variable bitrate(HQ)" as suggested  Rolleyes, with :
- bitrate : 1500 (default)
- Max Bitrate : 240000 (default)
in "NVEnc / Base".

but when I look to the encoded files, one is 1569kbps & the 2nd is 1870 kbps (video bitrate as seen with MediaInfo)

Q1 : why do they have a video bitrate > 1500 ?
Q2 : what do these 2 parameters mean / how should I use them / are the default figures well chosen ?

regards
You need to know whether you want to stick with the default values

Quote:why do they have a video bitrate > 1500 ?
Did you read the tool-tip?
Quote:variable bitrate (1pass) is a one pass encoding mode for people who just want to get an average bitrate as fast as possible, the bitrate can fluctuate a lot an the average bitrate provided is only a roughly indicator for the encoder.
it clearly states the average bitrate provided is only a roughly indicator for the encoder.

Quote: what do these 2 parameters mean
bitrate: sets a rough indicator to the encoder what average bitrate it should aim for
max bitrate: indicates a bitrate limit to the encoder, "do never use more than X kBit/s"

Quote: how should I use them
You set:
bitrate to the value you want your output to have in average
max bitrate to a value that doesn't cause any trouble during playback
If you can't figure out how to set bitrates according to what you need for your content, try using a fixed quantizer instead.

Quote: are the default figures well chosen ?
if you have to ask, then: 'No, the default values are not chosen well for your usage scenario / input / output / ..."
And no, I got no clue what values would be well chosen values.

-> If you can't figure out to get a decent quality out of NVEncC, then you shouldn't use it. Smile

Cu Selur
Hi,

1. I had read the tool-tip about "bitrate (kbits/s) is "select if you aim a specific bit rate", an not the one about "encoding mode"...

2. I'll have a look at the constant quantizer configuration asap

regards