This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[HELP] Encoding Settings
Hi Everyone,

Hoping for some guidance around a method/settings to encode the following file from a blu-ray rip (i've cut a 60 sec clip):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1E5tikQ...E8eo_2Sngr

MediaInfo:

Frame rate mode                      : Variable
Frame rate                               : 59.940 (59940/1000) FPS
Original frame rate                    : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
Standard                                  : NTSC
Color space                               : YUV
Chroma subsampling                  : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                  : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Interlaced
Scan type, store method            : Separated fields
Scan order                               : Top Field First

So far i've tried multiple encodes and not managed to get an output file where the audio/video are in sync and video deinterlaced. These include:

[*]Using vapoursynth and avisynth srestore. Finishes with double video speed.
[*]turning crf output on in decoding.
[*]Ignore all input timecodes on int config/handling.
[*]scaling output frame rate to 59.94 fps. This creates an output file with audio/visual in sync (which is the best i can seem to get) - however if I include deinterlacing the video speed is doubled. Same result with ivtc.

What would be the best method to get a decent encode from this source? I haven't come across a blu-ray like this before.

Thanks
Quote:Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 59.940 (59940/1000) FPS
Original frame rate : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
argh, vfr + interlaced is always a BAD combination,... (can all be handled, but that would be tricky)
So first this I tried was to use:
  • Config->Internals->Ignore all input timecodes
  • Config->Internals->Prefer Original Frame rate
  • passthrough audio&video
to see whether those time codes make sense. (hope not)
-> using that the output was sync, so those vfr time codes are not needed (Hurray!) and enabling 'Ignore all input timecodes' and 'Prefer Original Frame rate' makes sense (so Hybrid knows that it should ignore the frame rate of the container and use the one from the video stream and that the time codes of the input should be ignored).

Assuming you want progressive 59.940fps as output I set Base->Processing->Video back to x264 (use other encoder if you want) and enabled Filtering->QTGMC Vapoursynth->Bob. I also set 'x264->Base->Restriction Settings->AVC Profile/Level' to 'High/4.2' and 'x264->Base->General Settings->Encoding mode' to 'constant rate factor (1-pass)', but you can use any other encoder and settings, these were just for testing.

So to sum it up what I did was:
  • enable 'Config->Internals->Ignore all input timecodes'
  • enable 'Config->Internals->Prefer Original Frame rate'
  • enable 'Filtering->QTGMC Vapoursynth->Bob' (if you want, 29.97fps output, don't enable this)
uploaded the output temporary to my GoogleDrive.

Cu Selur

Ps.: Personally I would encode using a H.265 encoder and aim for 10bit instead of 8bit, but that depends on your needs&goals.
(03.01.2019, 06:10)Selur Wrote: uploaded the output temporary to my GoogleDrive.

Cu Selur

Ps.: Personally I would encode using a H.265 encoder and aim for 10bit instead of 8bit, but that depends on your needs&goals.

Thanks for that, looks great and exactly what I was trying to land on! Encoding the full video now...

May I ask what settings would you recommend on this source if I were to jump to H.265? I understand the file size is better but the encoding is generally much longer. I usually run x264 on CRF18, high 4.1, very slow, and tune based on source type.
Even with x264 I would go for 10bit if your decoders support it. High 4.1 will not be enough if you go for ~60fps qt 1920x1080.
For x265 I would probably go with preset slow and crf 16. (also disabling Sample adaptive Offset for the loop filter)
(03.01.2019, 06:58)Selur Wrote: Even with x264 I would go for 10bit if your decoders support it. High 4.1 will not be enough if you go for ~60fps qt 1920x1080.
For x265 I would probably go with preset slow and crf 16. (also disabling Sample adaptive Offset for the loop filter)

Thanks for the tips, I'll give them a go when this one finishes