This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Request: priority vsViewer.exe
Hello Selur,

I noted that Hybrid launch "vsViewer.exe" with priority IDLE (in Windows). Since in some cases from "vsViewer.exe" are generated tensor RT cache files that require some time to be generated. The launch of "vsViewer.exe" with priority NORMAL should speed-up the process.

Thanks,
Dan
Quote:The launch of "vsViewer.exe" with priority NORMAL should speed-up the process.
I doubt that increasing the priority of vsViewer would change a thing.
Hybrid by default starts everything is does with priority idle, to not slow down the system.
If your system does nothing, anything started by Hybrid should get all the resources it needs.
Also, since the model creation for tensor RT (=cache files) should be mainly gpu based, I would be surprised if the priority of vsViewer would influence this creation.

Have you tried increasing the priority of vsViewer, right after the start of vsViewer, through the task manager and that increased the speed?
Cu Selur
Hello Selur,

as you wrote if "system does nothing, anything started by Hybrid should get all the resources it needs", but if in meanwhile the PC is encoding, in IDLE mode there are few resources available. I do agree with you that it is better "starts everything...with priority idle, to not slow down the system". But vsViewer.exe is not an encoding tool and in NORMAL mode cannot slow down the system. I tried to change the priority from IDLE to NORMAL when the PC is busy in encoding tasks and the speed-up is significant (when in the script is used tensor RT).
  Given the typical use of vsViewer.exe I don't see any danger of slow down if it is launched always with NORMAL priority.

Thanks,
Dan
Argh, using vsViewer with something using the gpu while encoding can cause tons of issues.
If you run multiple encodes in a queue, encoding might simply fail, since the vram is already occupied by vsViewer.

Quote:Given the typical use of vsViewer.exe I don't see any danger of slow down if it is launched always with NORMAL priority.
We have different views on what a typical use of vsViewer is. For me often vsViewer can take tons of resources. For me rendering the Vapoursynth script, even without ai based filters, can get really slow.

I'll think about adding an option to not run vsViewer in 'idle', but for me the time to build the tensor RT file isn't that important, since it is often less than rendering a few frames in the script. I will not change the default behavior of Hybrid to lower the priority of vsViewer to idle.

Cu Selur
Hello Selur,

I just discovered that Hybrid has an undocumented option to change the default miceness through a misc.ini file.
   I tried to set in misc.ini

[General]
niceness=0

But vsViewer.exe it is still started with IDLE priority.
   It is possible to extend the change of miceness also to the process vsViewer.exe ?

Thanks,
Dan
Probably,... I'll look at it.
Hello Selur,

I installed the new dev-version and now vsViewer.exe starts in "Normal" priority.
   But in the new version there is a bug related to the weighted resize.
   If after having selected a movie file, go in the resize tab and perform a resize, and then go in Filtering->Vapoursynth->Frame->Resize and select a resizer (for example NNEDI3) and then select a Weighted resize, is displayed a error box with the text: NNEDI3(CL), variable clip.

[Image: Error.png]

I attached the debug output.

Dan
Ah, I rewrote some stuff which probably caused this.
-> I'll look into it.

Cu Selur
Send you a link to a dev version which should fix the weighted resizing.

Cu Selur
Hello Selur,

It seems that now the problem has been fixed.

Thanks,
Dan