This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[HELP] Video 8 PAL capture/upscale
I'm trying to QTGMC and upscale a PAL capture from Video 8 footage filmed back in the 1990s. However, there seems to be a strange faint horizontal lines texture over the entire image which looks worse when upscaled.

Any suggestions?

Link -> Sample clip
(20.03.2023, 12:27)Miranda Wrote: ...a strange faint horizontal lines texture over...

it's an artifact due to deinterlacing (fixes: bottom field first)

try the top field first

look https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xQXd2Dv...share_link
Only had a quick look.
Switching to tff seems wrong (if you are bobbing).
My first try would be setting 'Preset' to 'Custom', enable 'EZDenoise' and set it to something like 4 or higher. (you can set the base preset to Fast)

Cu Selur
Thanks for the suggestion. However, when I change QTGMC to "Custom" and set EZdenoise, I'm unable to get a preview window to open.

Attached Files
.txt   Custom_EZ5.txt (Size: 4,19 KB / Downloads: 22)
Strangely using basically the same script:
# Imports
import vapoursynth as vs
import os
import ctypes
# Loading Support Files
Dllref = ctypes.windll.LoadLibrary("i:/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/Support/libfftw3f-3.dll")
import sys
# getting Vapoursynth core
core = vs.core
# Import scripts folder
scriptPath = 'i:/Hybrid/64bit/vsscripts'
sys.path.insert(0, os.path.abspath(scriptPath))
# Loading Plugins
core.std.LoadPlugin(path="i:/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/GrainFilter/RemoveGrain/RemoveGrainVS.dll")
core.std.LoadPlugin(path="i:/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/GrainFilter/AddGrain/AddGrain.dll")
core.std.LoadPlugin(path="i:/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/DenoiseFilter/FFT3DFilter/fft3dfilter.dll")
core.std.LoadPlugin(path="i:/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/DenoiseFilter/DFTTest/DFTTest.dll")
core.std.LoadPlugin(path="i:/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/Support/EEDI3m.dll")
core.std.LoadPlugin(path="i:/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/ResizeFilter/nnedi3/vsznedi3.dll")
core.std.LoadPlugin(path="i:/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/Support/libmvtools.dll")
core.std.LoadPlugin(path="i:/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/Support/scenechange.dll")
core.std.LoadPlugin(path="i:/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/Support/fmtconv.dll")
core.std.LoadPlugin(path="i:/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/MiscFilter/MiscFilters/MiscFilters.dll")
core.std.LoadPlugin(path="i:/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/DeinterlaceFilter/Bwdif/Bwdif.dll")
core.std.LoadPlugin(path="i:/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/SourceFilter/LSmashSource/vslsmashsource.dll")
# Import scripts
import edi_rpow2
import havsfunc
# source: 'C:\Users\Selur\Desktop\catriona-sample.mov'
# current color space: YUV420P8, bit depth: 8, resolution: 720x576, fps: 25, color matrix: 470bg, yuv luminance scale: limited, scanorder: bottom field first
# Loading C:\Users\Selur\Desktop\catriona-sample.mov using LWLibavSource
clip = core.lsmas.LWLibavSource(source="C:/Users/Selur/Desktop/catriona-sample.mov", format="YUV420P8", stream_index=0, cache=0, fpsnum=25, prefer_hw=0)
# Setting detected color matrix (470bg).
clip = core.std.SetFrameProps(clip, _Matrix=5)
# Setting color transfer info (470bg), when it is not set
clip = clip if not core.text.FrameProps(clip,'_Transfer') else core.std.SetFrameProps(clip, _Transfer=5)
# Setting color primaries info (BT.601 PAL), when it is not set
clip = clip if not core.text.FrameProps(clip,'_Primaries') else core.std.SetFrameProps(clip, _Primaries=5)
# Setting color range to TV (limited) range.
clip = core.std.SetFrameProp(clip=clip, prop="_ColorRange", intval=1)
# making sure frame rate is set to 25
clip = core.std.AssumeFPS(clip=clip, fpsnum=25, fpsden=1)
clip = core.std.SetFrameProp(clip=clip, prop="_FieldBased", intval=1) # bff

# Deinterlacing using QTGMC
clip = havsfunc.QTGMC(Input=clip, Preset="Slower", InputType=0, TFF=False, TR2=1, SourceMatch=0, Lossless=0, EZDenoise=5.00, NoisePreset="Fast") # new fps: 50
# Making sure content is preceived as frame based
clip = core.std.SetFrameProp(clip=clip, prop="_FieldBased", intval=0) # progressive
# adjusting frame count and rate with sRestore
clip = havsfunc.srestore(source=clip, frate=23.9760, omode=6, speed=9, thresh=16, mode=2)
# cropping the video to 692x554
clip = core.std.CropRel(clip=clip, left=14, right=14, top=10, bottom=12)
clip = core.std.AddBorders(clip=clip, left=0, right=0, top=0, bottom=2) # add borders to archive mod 4 (NNEDI3(CL)) - 692x556
# resizing using ZNEDI3
# current: 692x556 target: 1440x1080 -> pow: 4
clip = edi_rpow2.nnedi3_rpow2(clip=clip, rfactor=4) # 2768x2224
clip = core.std.CropRel(clip=clip, left=0, right=0, top=0, bottom=8) # removing borders (NNEDI3(CL)) -  2768x2216
# adjusting resizing
clip = core.fmtc.resample(clip=clip, w=1440, h=1080, kernel="lanczos", interlaced=False, interlacedd=False)# before YUV420P8 after YUV420P16
# letterboxing 1440x1080 to 1920x1080
clip = core.std.AddBorders(clip=clip, left=240, right=240, top=0, bottom=0)
# adjusting output color from: YUV420P16 to YUV420P10 for x265Model
clip = core.resize.Bicubic(clip=clip, format=vs.YUV420P10, range_s="limited", dither_type="error_diffusion")
# set output frame rate to 23.976fps (progressive)
clip = core.std.AssumeFPS(clip=clip, fpsnum=24000, fpsden=1001)
# Output
clip.set_output()
here works fine.

Does the Vapoursynth Preview show an error?
When I select preview, nothing happens at all. If I de-select the EZDenoise option then preview works fine. I'll try re-launching Hybrid.

Still no luck after relaunching Hybrid. Sad
Can you create and share a debug output of you trying to open the Vapoursynth Preview?
Debug output.
Strange, send you a link to my latest dev version, does this also happen with that version?
Sadly same thing. I will try on my Mac.