This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[HELP] how to crop left and right black bars, keep ratio aspect at the same time?
this is a BD Remux mkv file, 1920×1080i,

[Image: YqXmrKf2ZTuGJvx.jpg]

and i want to encode a version without any black bars,

[Image: KuCyRnztmWib3fx.jpg]

i have three questions:

1) how to crop and keep ratio aspect at the same time?

2) resolution will decrease when cut off all black bars, in this situation, i want to keep quality lossless at the same time, which encode mode to use is best? i personally tend to use CRF mode, and use CRF15, i don't know if it's right.

3) mkv file is 1920×1080i 29.97fps, does it need to do deinterlace? to get a 1920×1080p 60fps file.

[Image: dIVByJtWNUZSE2r.jpg] [Image: VrcKWkipEAN7Zm9.jpg]
Quote:1) how to crop and keep ratio aspect at the same time?
By default Hybrid will keep the par as it is.
So if the aspect ratio changed:
a. Hybrid didn't detect it properly then the Vapousynth/Avisynth Preview will be distorted too.
b. you messed with other settings

Quote:2) resolution will decrease when cut off all black bars, in this situation, i want to keep quality lossless at the same time, which encode mode to use is best?
That sentence does not make any sense.
if you want lossless: 1pass, constant quantizer, quantizer = , lossless

Quote:) mkv file is 1920×1080i 29.9fps, does it need to do deinterlace? to get a 1920×1080p 60fps file.
yes, to go from 1080i to 1080p you need either to deinterlace or apply IVTC, according to the flags the input is interlaced so you would need deinterlacing, if the flags are wrong the source could be anything, even progressive.

Cu Selur
so how to set in this two area?

[Image: RuwhzCKUGetEZ9v.jpg]

according to the flags the input is interlaced, so how to confirm this input flags?

and there is no Vapousynth in crop, why?

[Image: K6GSOmZAJpc2wuF.jpg]
Do not mess with the PAR settings unless you known what you do is correct.
PAR does not change because cropping, so only change the PAR if your source is wrongly flagged (then change the Input PAR to the correct value) or if you want that the output has a specific PAR, Hybrid will then automatically enable Resize and set it.
-> read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_aspect_ratio until you understand why PAR does not change if you just crop.

Cu Selur
i clicked preview, why is all black?

[Image: bJkBeFqpTy4NDAU.jpg]

[quote pid="11064" dateline="1614616136"]
-> read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_aspect_ratio until you understand why PAR does not change if you just crop.

Cu Selur
[/quote]

yeah, too professional, could i learn the steps in Hybrid first? and then study base knownledge in future. thanks please.
because your source starts with a black frame and you look at that black frame,...
move the slider,.... Angel
so the auto detect result seems right, but why there is no Vapousynth in crop?

[Image: LKbJ2ZkyfSxs7Ej.jpg]

[Image: K6GSOmZAJpc2wuF.jpg]
"Crop style" changes how to define the cropping.
Avisynth: you define cropLeft, cropTop, cropRight, cropBottom
Mplayer: you define window (widthxheight) which should contain the content to keep and a point (x,y) where to play that window on the frame
both result in the same cropping and have nothing to do if you use Vapoursynth, Avisynth, MPlayer, or whatever to do the filtering&co.

Cu Selur
thanks reply, but i'm still not sure whether need to deinterlacer
It's simple:
Enable: "Filtering->(De-)Interlace/Telecine->Deinterlace/Telecine Settings->Overwrite input scan type to" and make sure it's set to 'progressive'.
This way Hybrid will assume the source is progressive.
Then open the Vapoursynth Preview and move the slider through your source (specially start and end).
If you see combing artifacts the source is either interlaced, telecined or field shifted and you need to disable "Filtering->(De-)Interlace/Telecine->Deinterlace/Telecine Settings->Overwrite input scan type to" again. (and figure out whether the source is interlaced, telecined or field shifted)
If you see no combing artifacts at all the source is progressive and just flagged as interlaced, so kepping "Filtering->(De-)Interlace/Telecine->Deinterlace/Telecine Settings->Overwrite input scan type to" enabled and set to progressive is the right way to go.

Cu Selur