This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[HELP] x265 encoding
Hello everyone ,

I encode some UHD BR for some time now.
I usually use the -slow preset and --no-sao.
CRF on 18.

It works very fine with 2.35 movie when I crop the black strips.

But I find some weird results with 1.77 or 1.85 movie (aka full frame without crop).

Each time the bitrate is very high , sometimes higher than the original bitrate  Sleepy

I can't explain this phenomena and it's bothering me.

So this is not a Hybrid issue , it's something I don't understand.

If someone's got a hint I would be happy Smile
Personally I wouldn't disable sao unless I go below crf 10.
Why an encode can end up with a higher bit rate than the 'original', even when the compression settings of the reencode or better than those that were used to encode the original is simple:
Your decoded source contains more details than the source the 'original' was encoded from.
Through the encoding which created your 'original' additional compression artifacts were added which now count as details which the encoder will try to preserve. Smile
This is why most folks typically at least use some mild degrain, deblocking, artifact removal filters during re-compression unless one is encoding lossless.

Cu Selur
(15.06.2018, 21:07)Selur Wrote: Personally I wouldn't disable sao unless I go below crf 10.
Why an encode can end up with a higher bit rate than the 'original', even when the compression settings of the reencode or better than those that were used to encode the original is simple:
Your decoded source contains more details than the source the 'original' was encoded from.
Through the encoding which created your 'original' additional compression artifacts were added which now count as details which the encoder will try to preserve. Smile
This is why most folks typically at least use some mild degrain, deblocking, artifact removal filters during re-compression unless one is encoding lossless.

Cu Selur

Thank you for the explaination , this makes sense !