This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[INFO] [Feature request] Keep height ?
Hello,

Context :
I have to encode hundreds of cartoon videos which have different resolutions (ie. 1480x1080, 960x720, 700x572, etc) depending of the original source.
I'd like to encode a whole year (a season = 1 year) which contains around 20 videos, being able to load all the videos in one time, but doing that, the "Crop/Resize > Base > Resize" option seems to set itself to a specific value and then all the videos are encoded with that value, which is not "good" (it's either downscaling either upscaling) from my point of view.

So I'd like to know if it would be possible to have an option to keep the height (or width) in "Crop/Resize > Base > Resize" option, with the possibility to set the output PAR = 1x1 fe.

Kind Regards
  • Assuming you want Hybrid to automatically crop black borders you might want to enable 'Crop/Resize->Misc->On Source Change->Auto crop'.
  • Assuming you want the output always to be 1:1 you should enable:
    • 'Crop/Resize->Base->Pixel Aspect Ratio (PAR)->Convert Output to PAR' and set it to 'Square Pixel (1:1)'
    • 'Crop/Resize->Misc->Keep output PAR'
  • Assuming you want to have the output a specific Width i.e. 720px you would:
    • enable 'Crop/Resize->Base->Resize (in case it isn't already enabled)
    • set 'Crop/Resize->Base->Picture Resize->Target Resolution->Width' to 720 (and keep 'Auto adjust' enabled and set to 'height')
  • Assuming you want to Hybrid to add black borders a archive a resolution higher than the one set as 'Target resolution' you would enable 'Crop/Resize->Base->Letterbox' and specify the resolution you want.
You can also limit when Hybrid starts to resize (using 'Crop/Resize->Misc->Only auto adjust resize if ...').

-> if you want to do something else describe it in more details.

Cu Selur
Hello

thank you for your reply !
I'll have a look at all your options !

regards

EDIT :
you wrote :

[*]1/Assuming you want Hybrid to automatically crop black borders you might want to enable 'Crop/Resize->Misc->On Source Change->Auto crop'.
[*]2/Assuming you want the output always to be 1:1 you should enable:
  • 'Crop/Resize->Base->Pixel Aspect Ratio (PAR)->Convert Output to PAR' and set it to 'Square Pixel (1:1)'
  • 'Crop/Resize->Misc->Keep output PAR'
[*]
--> Thank you, these options should be useful !

3/Assuming you want to have the output a specific Width i.e. 720px you would...
--> in fact it is the opposite : I don't want the output to have a specific width or height, I'd like the output to have the same height (fe) as the source, even if I load 20 videos with different heights.

Let's say I have in a folder 3 videos with different heights :
- Title 1 : height = 1080,
- Title 2 : height = 720,
- Title 3 : height = 572

Then I'd like to be able to load (drag & drop) the 3 videos in Hybrid, and be able to have 3 outputs with :
- Title 1_output : height = 1080,
- Title 2_output : height = 720,
- Title 3_output : height = 572.
(I speak about the height because sometimes, the input PAR isn't 1, and as I'll ask Hybrid to modify the output PAR to set it to 1, from what I understand, keeping the height, it will modify the width)

[*]I hope I've been more understandable ! ;-)

Is it already possible, or is it a feature to develop ?

Regards
Quote:keeping the height, it will modify the width
Yes, depending on whether 'Crop/Resize->Base->Picture Resize->Auto adjust' is set to 'height' or 'width' the height or width will be adjusted. So if you want to keep the height tell Hybrid to adjust the width to archive PAR 1:1.

Quote:Is it already possible, or is it a feature to develop ?
Everything I mentioned should work fine in Hybrid.

Cu Selur
Hello,

so assuming I'd like hybrid (on multi-source input) to :
1/set the output PAR =1x1
2/and keep the height of each video,
I understand that Hybrid will modify the width only when the input PAR is not 1x1 : is it the case ?

So from what I understand, I should have the following parameters :

*Crop/Resize > Base > PAR > Output PAR> Convert output to PAR = "square pixel"
    --> this enables automatically Crop/Resize > Base > "Resize"
    --> this sets Crop/Resize > Base > Picture resize > resize method = "10 - bicubic spline"
    --> this enables Crop/Resize > Base > Picture resize > "Auto adjust" --> I chose "width" (I understand the width will adjust to the height with output PAR = 1x1)
    --> then the "target resolution" is set to a certain value in Hybrid --> is it a value specific for the 1st video to be encoded, or for all the videos ?

*Crop/Resize > Misc > Misc > keep resize for new source : disabled
*Crop/Resize > Misc > Misc > adjust keep resize for source : disabled
*Crop/Resize > Misc > On source change > auto crop : enabled

So for each new video on multi-source input, Hybrid will detect the height, keep it, adjust eventually the width and encode.
do you agree ?

regards
Quote:I understand that Hybrid will modify the width only when the input PAR is not 1x1 : is it the case ?
yes.

Quote:this sets Crop/Resize > Base > Picture resize > resize method = "10 - bicubic spline"
No it shouldn't change the resizer, '10 - bicubic spline' is just the default.

Quote:this enables Crop/Resize > Base > Picture resize > "Auto adjust" --> I chose "width" (I understand the width will adjust to the height with output PAR = 1x1)
yes.

Quote: then the "target resolution" is set to a certain value in Hybrid --> is it a value specific for the 1st video to be encoded, or for all the videos ?
that resolution is based on the currently selected video unless 'adjust keep resize for source' (or 'keep resize for new source' for multi file input) is enabled.

Quote:Crop/Resize > Misc > On source change > auto crop : enabled
makes only sense in case your sources have black borders to crop

Quote:do you agree ?
yes, looks okay.

Cu Selur
Hello,

seems fine from the tests I just did !!

Thank you very uch for your help !

(there's a video with 1920x1080 resolution which crashed, so I'll try again & post a new thread ASAP...)

Regards