This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[INFO] which CRF...
Hello again,

I'm doing some tests right now with a movie, but in the mean time, could you give me some advice ?

Context :
I encoded a H264 130MB cartoon with hybrid in H265, using CRF=23 (all audios passthrough), and I have as a result a 95MB cartoon, which is quite big
I did the same with my previous tool (Handbrake) and found a 67MB cartoon.
A friend of mine gave me a windows script using ffmpeg command line, ad I have a 47MB cartoon in the end - always using CRF=23 and all audio/subtitles passthrough.

so how can we explain the big differences ? Huh

what are your advices (parameters) to encode in H265 with Hybrid please ?

regards
Quote:so how can we explain the big differences ?
The effect crf strongly depends on a lot of other settings, so unless you compare all the settings just looking at the crf and the file size doesn't say anything.
You can use MediaInfo to see the settings that are used in case x264 or x265 were used by ffmpeg/handbrake/Hybrid.

Quote:what are your advices (parameters) to encode in H265 with Hybrid please ?
1. I usually encode to H.265 with x265 and a crf of around 16 (or even lower), but that will probably produce a way larger file size than you get.
2. When reencoding I usually make sure to do some source adjusted filtering to remove existing compression artifacts which were introduced by previous compression steps.

Cu Selur

Ps.: you probably have more luck getting compression settings recommendations for such things over at https://forum.videohelp.com/
thank you !
I didn't know...

i'm reading https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/390124-What-CRF-Level-Do-You-Use !
which probably will not help at all with your problem, but best of luck

Cu Selur
yes, it's very difficult to understand as a newbie  Sad 

I just thought CRF=23 was ok for all sources - what a fool am I...