This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Nvenc under MAC with EGPU
Hyrid only uses the videotoolbox api through ffmpeg, which sadly isn't that great.
Sadly I can't be of much assistance with this since:
a. I don't own a mac atm.
b. Apple really restricts any hardware decoding through their videotoolbox api which is why you can't access NVEnc directly like you can on Windows and Linux

What you basically do in Hybrid is:
  • load a source in Hybrid ('Base->Open file')
  • set 'Base->Processing->Video' to 'FFVideotoolbox'
  • go into the 'FFVideotoolbox' and select the Encoder (and do additional configuration)
  • set output 'Base->Output file'
  • add the settings to the job queue ('Base->Add to queue')
  • start the encoding ('Jobs->Queue->Start')
Either Apple supports using the VPU for encoding through VideoToolBox and the encoding works through the VPU or it doesn't and VideoToolBox will use the cpu.

Note that monitoring the GPU won't show much since video decoding and encoding doesn't run through the gpu, but the vpu.

Cu Selur
Hello,

I'm using A MacPro late 2013 with a AMD RX 580 under EGPU and Mac OSX 10.13.4.
The AMD card works fine under the OS. But when I use your software, he doesn't use
the EGPU card with the acceleration.....

It is something to do ?

Thank for answer....
No clue why FFVideotoolbox doesn't support your AMD card, it should support any card the VideoToolbox Framework from Apple supports.
Sadly I haven't seen any documentation which hardware is supported.

Cu Selur
I try today with a other Egpu box and the same GFX card, the problem is the same.

It's still strange that it does not work because
the AMD RX 580 cards is officialy supported in 10.3.4...

Franck
Got a link for this?
Just because Apple adds drivers for a card/chipset does Not mean it's supported in their Videotoolbox framework.
(27.04.2018, 14:52)Selur Wrote: Got a link for this?
Just because Apple adds drivers for a card/chipset does Not mean it's supported in their Videotoolbox framework.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544
Quote:Accelerate applications that use Metal, OpenGL, and OpenCL
Sadly that didn't include Videotoolbox. Sad
And I can't find any information regarding egpu and the Videotoolbox framework. Sad
Finally I do not understand too much, what are the compatible configurations? 
Obviously my 2017 macbook pro is because the compression works perfectly. 
I do not see the point of not including external cards ...

Franck
No clue either since I can't find any documentation from apple about what hardware is compatible with videotoolbox, only that it is the 'new' framework which should support hardware encoding and decoding. (https://developer.apple.com/documentation/videotoolbox)

Quote:I do not see the point of not including external cards ...
I do not see the point in lots of stuff apple does when it comes to lots of things related to video encoding and container support.
Apple often only supports fractions of standards and they never seem to expand such support.

Cu Selur
Is Open Gl & CL fast to encode H265 ?