This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Resize/Upscale questions
Would it make sense for VHS captured video to upscale straight to 1920x1080 with Hybrid, achieving higher size upscale?
Instead of upscaling to 1280x720 and letting HW media player upscale it to 1920x1080 outputing to TV. I am aware about 60p not BDM compliancy.

The resizing method in Hybrid by default is defined and set by:
·       Crop/Resize>Base>Picture Resize> Resize method: “10 – bicubic spline”

Would changing resizing method to NNEDI3 give higher resize upscale quality?

·       Filtering>Vapoursynth>Frame>Resize>Resizer>NNEDI3

Are Default values are good to start for VHS source?

Under Avisynth there is also available spline36, spline64 resizer.
I read about them as good option for upscaling, they do some sharpening.

What method you would recommend?
Quote:Would it make sense for VHS captured video to upscale straight to 1920x1080 with Hybrid, achieving higher size upscale?
Instead of upscaling to 1280x720 and letting HW media player upscale it to 1920x1080 outputing to TV.

Quote:The resizing method in Hybrid by default is defined and set by:
· Crop/Resize>Base>Picture Resize> Resize method: “10 – bicubic spline”

Would changing resizing method to NNEDI3 give higher resize upscale quality?
Yes.

Quote:Under Avisynth there is also available spline36, spline64 resizer.
I read about them as good option for upscaling, they do some sharpening.
Hybrid also supports different spline resizers in Vapoursynth through 'fmtconv'
Quote:What method you would recommend?
I personally prefer Gaussresize for small size changes and NNEDI3 for larger changes.
Depending on the project and time I'm willing to spend SRMD, Waifu2x nvk, or a GLSL Resizer also might make sense.
it always depends. Check the Vapoursynth Preview to see which makes most sense to you.
-> I would say when going from SD to HD NNEDI3 is a good start, but I would always recommend to try SRMD, Waifu2x nvk (those two are gpu based and require a fast graphic card) and GLSL Resizer.

Cu Selur

Ps.: when processing VHS content most is gained and lost during filtering (DeNoise, DeGrain, ColorCorrections,..) which is also the main problem when using a TV which blindly uses sharpending, denoising etc. (from my experience so far, I would always recommend to disable and image enhancements in TVs)
For DeNoising would the FFT3DFilter be one of the most suggested?
What would be your preference?
The denoiser choise always depends of the type of noise you have,...
I usually use "KNLMeansCL" or "MC Temporal Denoise".

Cu Selur
Thanks so much for your help.
Now is the time for me to get in to experimenting phase and find the most optimal settings for my project  Smile
Looks like Global Profiles are not storing/saving Crop/Resize parameters?

·       Crop/Resize>Base>Pixel Aspect Ratio (PAR)>Input PAR changing PAR values to 16:15
·       Save a Global Profile (Config->Profiles->Global profile->Save global profile under new .hml file name.)
·       Close Hybrid
·       Start Hybrid
·       Apply Global profile (select the profile under 'Config->Profiles->Global profile->Name' and apply the profile 'Config->Profiles->Global profile->Apply global profile')
·       Crop/Resize>Base>Pixel Aspect Ratio (PAR)>Input PAR, values are default 1:1, not the 16:15 that were before closing Hybrid
That is correct.
"Input PAR" and "crop values" are not saved since they are source specific.
-> doesn't make sense for Hybrid to save them.
(small correction, crop values are saved, but can be reset, same for resize values, if 'Crop/Resize->Misc->Misc->Keep resize for new source' is enabled)

Cu Selur