This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Settings for AVCHD 2.0 Progressive compliant file, playback
Hmm,... tsMuxeR got some additional output muxing methods (https://github.com/justdan96/tsMuxer), may be remuxing with one of them fixes the issue. (If one does, I can add it as an option to Hybrid.)

Cu Selur
I tried the latest tsMuxer from 2.21.2021.
Was demuxing, remuxing, different output options including TS, BluRay, AVCHD.
There is an option enabled "Generate HDMV compatible TS", was disabling, enabling.
Nothing helps.
If I run file through TMPGEnc, since it is not AVCHD HDMV compliant, it reencodes the file.
Does not touch audio, but re-encodes the video, and CPU is running full load, it is not just something changing in the header, it re-encodes the whole video.

In tsMuxer's GUI there are not so many options to play.

In Hybrid as first step I was using Settings:
  • X264>Base, enables Restriction Settings->Hardware, and sets ->Blu-ray/AVCHD
It sets all x264 parameters. After I disable Hardware, using Unrestricted, changing Level to 4.2.
  • X264>Base>Restriction Settings->Multi-slice is disabled, but I was trying to enable with no result

Also changing:
  • x264>Rate Control> (VBV)> Medium Limit> BD25/50 x1, it sets Buffer Size and Fill Rate to 24,000.
That way I am getting setting close to BluRay compliant, resulting in only on red flag for not AVCHD HDMV compliancy.
Okay, I hoped remuxing to m2ts with "Generate HDMV compatible TS" might help, but it only seems to add '--new-audio-pes' to the call. :/

Does it make any difference if you enable "Config->Container->Transport Stream settings->Use FFmpeg" ?

Cu Selur
Changed audio to custom, enabled AC3 224kbps encoding, since FFmpeg does not mux PCM audio.
Changed settings to Use FFmpeg.

NO changes, same problem.
Looks like might not be muxing issue, something with GOP structure or so.
I was trying Open GOP, it exceeded Buffer size, no go.
Quote:since FFmpeg does not mux PCM audio.
Huh

Quote:I was trying Open GOP, it exceeded Buffer size, no go.
I agree it seems to be a muxing issue, but I doubt it's related to the stream structure (open gop).
AVCHD should support H.264-style open GoP. GoP length up to 30 frames with up to 4 B-frames between anchor frames.
I doubt that changed for AVCHD 2.0
My guess is that it's more an issue on how the m2ts file is created or something similar.

Cu Selur
I was also trying to enable manually Multi-slice, setting to 4 as BluRay compliant. Same result.
If I stick with none AVCHD complaint file, should I enable Multi-slice?
no
I just want to have encoded video as 1080 50p/60p in a "future proof" way, trying to follow some standards to not have in the future problems.
If I encode completely unrestricted with none BluRay compliant settings, the HW media player, PC of course plays that file, but how to make sure it will be played by all players in the future.

This is why I wanted to use AVCHD 2.0/BDAV, according to specs that recorded BDAV on BD-R has to be compatible with all BluRay players and play 1080 50p/60p. And it does.

OK, never mind, I do not want to waste your time.

I will use none AVCHD compliant file.
Will be OK to archive on HDD, distribute to family members/others on SSD media or so, hoping their players will play.

What format x264 settings would be recommended for those 1080 50p/60p files to encode, should just use as what I experimented:
·       Restrictions>Hardware, and sets ->Blu-ray/AVCHD
It sets all x264 parameters. After I disable Hardware, using Unrestricted, changing Level to 4.2.
·       x264>Rate Control> (VBV)> Medium Limit> BD25/50 x1, it sets Buffer Size and Fill Rate to 24,000.

That way I am getting setting close to BluRay compliant, resulting in only on red flag for not AVCHD HDMV compliancy.
Personally I would use H.265 with Main10 profile and a level which allows the frame rate and resolution.
For H.264 I would go with High@4.2 and ignore the whole blu-ray stuff, since Hardware decoder chips support it nowadays and so will future hardware decoders for H.264.

Cu Selur
Thanks for advising.

I cannot use H.265 as I will not be able to play now, today days on my existing none HEVC equipment.

For x264, I will use High@L4.2 but if I ignore whole BluRay stuff settings, how can I set all those a hundred different parameters (long learning curve experimenting), especially those Frames, Motion estimations and etc and have a compatible file that will be played OK with all players?
The BluRay settings were at least providing some guidance.