This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

job stalls at random percent and VFR issues
I'm using Hybrid_2017.5.6.1_SETUP.exe on Windows 10 64-bit with Nvidia GTX 960.

I've been trying to encode a tv show from a dvd. I created mkv files of the episodes using MakeMKV that I'm then trying to encode to x264 with Hybrid. The job progress is constantly randomly stalling at different percentages. Sometimes if I reset the process, it will start over and finish, and other times it will stall again at a different percentage. This has occurred with different episodes from different volumes of dvds. I can't tell if the longer the job takes, the more at risk it becomes of stalling.

I think I've been using this version since at least June and did over a hundred episodes of a different show with no problems. I've thought about what I did differently then, and I'm wondering if fft3dgpu or a combination of that filter with LimitedSharpenFasterMod is causing the problem. I don't think this particular job I debugged would finish processing at all unless I disabled one or both of those filters. But other ones have finished after stalling a few times, but they were slightly shorter videos, and I had deinterlacer set to none, while this time I'm using TIVTC (which I'm having trouble figuring out how to get working with VFR video without losing audio sync). I used fft3dgpu a couple years ago without any issues. Please, read the 'Infos needed to fix&reproduce bugs,..'-sticky before you post about a problem.

I guess I'll include my VFR issues too. This is more my inexperience, but I'm having trouble getting VFR video to sync with audio after encoding. It only syncs when I select CFR output in config, but that causes some stutter in the video. I read a lot about TIVTC and timecodes, but I don't understand what that is or how to make use of it. I tried generating a timecode file, but it also sounds like a timecode file is already embedded in the mkv container? Telecined VFR videos have been driving me crazy all weekend. I tried getting around it by splitting the episodes into three videos. The opening and end credits were 29.97 telecine, and the main video was 23.976 progressive with some slight variations in frame rate that made it VFR.

Hybrid didn't always recognize the main videos as VFR. Sometimes it says it's CFR. I experienced one weird issue where I encoded the main VFR video with deinterlacer set to none thinking the frame rate would be unchanged, but I noticed the audio was slightly out of sync. I opened the output file in Hybrid and it was showing as CFR instead of VFR. I got Hybrid to show the output as VFR again by remerging the telecined 29.97 end credits, which fixed the audio sync problem.
VFR + Telecined => someone messed up
VFR from DVD => DVD is never vfr.
Hybrid should normally drop time codes from mkv files created with MakeMKV.
In case it doesn't make sure to enable Config->Internals->Handling->Ignore all input time codes.
This should help with files from MakeMKV.

Cu Selur
(02.10.2017, 18:17)Selur Wrote: VFR + Telecined => someone messed up
VFR from DVD => DVD is never vfr.
Hybrid should normally drop time codes from mkv files created with MakeMKV.
In case it doesn't make sure to enable Config->Internals->Handling->Ignore all input time codes.
This should help with files from MakeMKV.

Cu Selur

I don't know what it is if it isn't VFR. The episodes are directly from the dvd, and some are a mix of telecine 29.97 video and 23.976 progressive. Others look completely telecined but aren't a constant 29.97 fps. Instead, the frame rate fluctuates, like going anywhere between 28-30 fps.
Mixed/hybrid content. There is no proper way to handle such content aside from writing a script by hand with a lot of work.
That said, TIVTCs 'Hybrid mode' might help. Another way to handle such content is to bob it and then use Restore on it.
In short: Bad authored content, usually not worth the effort. Smile (Babylon 5, TNG and some Simpsons episodes are hybrid iirc and a real pain,..)

Cu Selur