Selur's Little Message Board

Full Version: How to fix bad colour bleed on VHS clips
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I need to upscale another movie, shot on video in the early 1980s. Some scenes have very bad colour bleed. I tried some of the chroma shift filters, but I couldn't get anything to work.

sample VHS clip
Here's an idea to address the chroma mess: (no denoising&co)
Code:
# Chroma adjustment using ChromaShiftSP
clip = chromashift.ChromaShiftSP(clip=clip, X=10.00)
# Deinterlacing using QTGMC
clip = havsfunc.QTGMC(Input=clip, Preset="Fast", TFF=False, opencl=True)# new fps: 50
# Making sure content is preceived as frame based
clip = core.std.SetFrameProps(clip=clip, _FieldBased=0)# progressive
# sharpening using AWarpSharp2
clip = core.warp.AWarpSharp2(clip=clip, thresh=255, blur=2, depth=64, chroma=True, planes=[1,2])
# Fix bright and dark line artifacts near the border of an image using BalanceBorders
clip = havsfunc.bbmod(c=clip,cLeft=0,cTop=0,cRight=32,cBottom=0)
(moved ChromaShiftSP above the Deinterlacing, add AWartSharp2 on Chroma only, add BalanceBorders to hide the shifted chroma on the right)
Original:
[Image: grafik.png]
Shifted:
+ BasicVSR++ only on chroma:

Cu Selur

Ps.: Maybe move the chroma a bit more,..
Thanks, looks a lot better. Problem is ithe chroma shift seems to be on certain scenes throughout the movie. I wonder if it will mess the other scenes up? I guess I can only try.

Where do I find BasicVSR++?
Shift seems fine, but there are some scenes where it's not the solution. (but it didn't look worse than the source)
You might have to filter on a per-scene basis. Wink (especially for the color adjustments,... lowered saturation to 0.75)
btw. CodeFormer, might be interesting for some scenes. (https://imgsli.com/MjY0MjE1/0/7)
but not for all:
=> there are filters that might help (but like so often, this does look like a bad capture and a recapture could probably do more than all the filtering)

Cu Selur
Sadly that is the only master available. The master was lost many years ago. Sad