Selur's Little Message Board
Improving CodeFormer videos - Printable Version

+- Selur's Little Message Board (https://forum.selur.net)
+-- Forum: Hybrid - Support (https://forum.selur.net/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Problems & Questions (https://forum.selur.net/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Improving CodeFormer videos (/thread-3574.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Improving CodeFormer videos - Dan64 - 06.02.2024

Hello Selur,

I'm testing CodeFormer. This filter is really good when used on pictures, but when used on videos there is the problem that some time the image has a flickering effect.
   The problem is that this filter (like many others) was trained using still pictures.

To reduce this effect I tried to scale down the fps of the video.
   For example I tried to reduce the fps of a movie from 25fps to 10fps so that the filter is working in a situation near the training environment (still pictures).

The idea is to use some kind of interpolation to expand the number of frames back to 25fps.
   I tried all the filters in Frame->Interpolation, but these filters are not very good when the starting speed is low, I was able to get a better results using ChangeFPS.

Do you know a good Frame Interpolator being able to reconstruct the frames from 10fps to 25fps ?

Thanks,
Dan

RE: Improving CodeFormer videos - Selur - 06.02.2024

Quote:I was able to get a better results using ChangeFPS.
ChangeFPS simply duplicates frames,...

Quote:Do you know a good Frame Interpolator being able to reconstruct the frames from 10fps to 25fps ?
No filter will reconstruct the original.
Throwing away 60 percent of the original source is a bad idea.
Quote: there is the problem that some time the image has a flickering effect.
When using CodeFormer it sometimes helps to use some of the aritfacts filters in my experience, properly denoising before applying CodeFormer sometimes also helps, but in the end the problem is that CodeFormer has no temporal awareness it only works on single images. Unless there is a new CodeFormer for Video or something along those lines, this is as good as it gets. (throwing away frames is not a good idea)

Cu Selur

RE: Improving CodeFormer videos - Dan64 - 06.02.2024

I know that throwing away 60 percent of the original source is not a good idea. But I was hoping that was available some I.A. Interpolator able to connect the dots better than CodeFormer. But this not the case.
Anyway I noted that by setting the weight=1.0 the image is more stable.

RE: Improving CodeFormer videos - Selur - 07.02.2024

I always use weight 1.0 since then the faces are often more like the original.
Sometimes it helps to apply QTGMC (Filter) in mode3 multiple times.
I asked the same question a while ago over at: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/409142-Stabilize-temporal-flickering

Cu Selur

RE: Improving CodeFormer videos - Dan64 - 07.02.2024

Hello Selur,

I'd like to try QTGMC as you suggested.
   In Hybrid is available in the Deinterlace Page.
   But QTGMC mode3 is not directly available in the GUI.

Could you explain which settings in Hybrid I have to set to apply QTGMC mode3 ? 
   you apply this filter before or after CodeFormer ?

Thanks,
Dan

Quote: But QTGMC mode3 is not directly available in the GUI.
Sorry, I meant InputType=3.
I would apply it multiple times after CodeFormer.

In the page "Stabilize" of Vapoursynth there are a lot of stabilizer filters do you meant that QTGMC it is a better stabilizer ?

Different meanings of causes of stabilization.
The filters under Frame->Stabilize are meant to either stabilize luma flickering or image shaking.
QTGMC does denoising, but that can have a stabilizing effect on the video, like you can see in the example linked in the thread over at videohelp.

Cu Selur

In effect QTGMC repeated more times can stabilize CodeFormer. 
It is possible to add an option in Vapoursynth->DeNoise->QTGMC to apply the filter 1 or more times ?

Yes, that is what I did in my tests. It is already possible to change the filter order and addply filters multiple times.
Read: [INFO] About Vapoursynth Filter Order/Queue

Cu Selur