Selur's Little Message Board
4:2:2 high profile encoded video not playing - Printable Version

+- Selur's Little Message Board (https://forum.selur.net)
+-- Forum: Hybrid - Support (https://forum.selur.net/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Problems & Questions (https://forum.selur.net/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: 4:2:2 high profile encoded video not playing (/thread-3863.html)

4:2:2 high profile encoded video not playing - VCRvideocapturing - 12.09.2024

Thanks for the great software
Yesterday I encoded a video using
the 4:2:2 high profile but it would not playback on my player.

I never had this issue when with 4:2:0 profile.
Is it a bug in the new version?
Please, read the 'Infos needed to fix&reproduce bugs,..'-sticky before you post about a problem.

RE: 4:2:2 high profile encoded video not playing - Selur - 12.09.2024

Quote: I encoded a video using
Can't reproduce that here.
What format?
What encoder?
Does it play on a pc?
4:2:2 usually isn't supported by hardware decoders, so if your player is configured to only use hardware decoding it will fail.
Afaik. in consumer hardware, only Intel 10th Gen. (i)gpus and newer support HEVC 4:2:2 decoding and the m1+ chips from Apple support 4:2:2 ProRes decoding.
Atm. I doubt this is a Hybrid problem, but you are trying to play back your content on a player that does not support it.

Cu Selur

Ps.: if you use H.265 4:4:4 is probably a better target.

RE: 4:2:2 high profile encoded video not playing - VCRvideocapturing - 12.09.2024

(12.09.2024, 15:46)Selur Wrote:
Quote: I encoded a video using
Can't reproduce that here.
What format?
What encoder?
Does it play on a pc?
4:2:2 usually isn't supported by hardware decoders, so if your player is configured to only use hardware decoding it will fail.
Afaik. in consumer hardware, only Intel 10th Gen. (i)gpus  and newer support HEVC 4:2:2 decoding and the m1+ chips from Apple support 4:2:2 ProRes decoding.
Atm. I doubt this is a Hybrid problem, but you are trying to play back your content on a player that does not support it.

Cu Selur

Ps.: if you use H.265 4:4:4 is probably a better target.
Thanks for the great software.
Please give the software an update

H264 encoder .mp4 extension
Does not play on my PC when I select
4:2:2 high profile, 4:2:0 has always worked
because this is what was selected by default in hybrid and I have never changed it before, it's only when you mentioned it a few weeks back I want and changed it to high profile 4:2:2  thinking it would give me higher quality, after that the file has not played back on PC, this never happened when I had 4:2:0 selected, does it really matter if 4:2:2 input file is going 4:20 chroma subsampling on a PAL VHS?
Some say color and chroma information is lost.

To recate the problem please capture a  short VHS rip using Virtualdub and Lagrith, Import the lagrith file to Hybrid choose 4:2:2 (high profile)

h264 encoder. mp4 extension
and see if the file plays back on PC.

I was so worried thinking I've messed something up, it took ages to render and I got nothing 😢
4:4:4 is overkill for VHS it will just increase file size and take more upload time to upload on YouTube.

RE: 4:2:2 high profile encoded video not playing - Selur - 12.09.2024

Quote:does it really matter if 4:2:2 input file is going 4:20 chroma subsampling on a PAL VHS?
That is correct, if you convert for archival content, 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 makes sense.

Quote:upload on YouTube.
afaik Youtube always converts to 4:2:0, so uploading 4:2:0 makes more sense, this way you have control over the color conversion.
Also, might also want to check YouTubes guidelines about what color matrix, transfer,... they expect.
The less color conversions they have to do, during their conversion, the more control over the colors you have.

Quote:To recate the problem please capture a short VHS rip using Virtualdub and Lagrith, Import the lagrith file to Hybrid choose 4:2:2 (high profile)
Plays fine here using latest MPC-HC. Windows Media Player can't decode H.264 4:2:2 content unless additional decoders are installed.

Cu Selur

RE: 4:2:2 high profile encoded video not playing - VCRvideocapturing - 13.09.2024

(12.09.2024, 21:07)Selur Wrote:
Quote:does it really matter if 4:2:2 input file is going 4:20 chroma subsampling on a PAL VHS?
That is correct, if you convert for archival content, 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 makes sense.

Quote:upload on YouTube.
afaik Youtube always converts to 4:2:0, so uploading 4:2:0 makes more sense, this way you have control over the color conversion.
Also, might also want to check YouTubes guidelines about what color matrix, transfer,... they expect.
The less color conversions they have to do, during their conversion, the more control over the colors you have.

Quote:To recate the problem please capture a  short VHS rip using Virtualdub and Lagrith, Import the lagrith file to Hybrid choose 4:2:2 (high profile)
Plays fine here using latest MPC-HC. Windows Media Player can't decode H.264 4:2:2 content unless additional decoders are installed.

Cu Selur
I fixed it
I unchecked output color space (auto) and changed it to i420 and everything is working fine.

This could mean 1of 2 things.
1. Windows media player cannot play 4:2:2 but it does play 4:2:2 Lagrith when captured in virtuldub 4:2:2 using lagrith lossless codec.

2. The 4:2:2 (high) in hybrid has a bug because when I tried to play the same 4:2:2 file encoded by Hybrid even Vegas gave me a green screen this makes me think hybrid is not encoding 4:2:2 (high) profile correctly.

It could be a bug in the settings of my Hybrid or I'm doing something wrong. If its a windows media player issue then why does it play Lagrith lossless files encoded 4:2:2.

Ok I will upload 4:2:0 so I should just capture 4:2:2 and let Hybrid use 4:2:0 settings because they work and YouTube uses 4:2:0.

RE: 4:2:2 high profile encoded video not playing - Selur - 13.09.2024

I'm pretty sure this is not a bug in Hybrid or x264, but simply that not many tools support H.264 with 4:2:2 color sampling.

RE: 4:2:2 high profile encoded video not playing - VCRvideocapturing - 13.09.2024

(13.09.2024, 20:12)Selur Wrote: I'm pretty sure this is not a bug in Hybrid or x264, but simply that not many tools support H.264 with 4:2:2 color sampling.
That could be it.
I've just finished encoding a .h264 file with i420 colorspace, work's just fine.

Vaporsynth is working and so are all of the filters I need, let's hope it stays that way 🤞

I tried progressive, upperfield, lowerfield de-interlacing but I get wavvy lines on text a bit like something having sharp edges but the de-interlacing is fine on the actual picture.

When encoded progressive hybrid does nothing to the file interlacing can be seen (2 separate fields) with a combing like effect but when ignore input scan type selected with upperfield first the combing effect goes away.

I might have to read your sticky note on de-interlaced and progressive content and try and understand.

I thank you for all the help.