This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Encoding with HuffYUV encoder
Is three is an option to have HuffYUV as an encoder?
The idea behind is to use Hybrid for deinterlacing with QTGMC, resizing, filtering but after encoding with lossless HuffYUV, and using resulting file for stand alone Blu Ray video editing, authoring tools that have H264/X264 and produce Blu Ray compliant files.
Hybrid supports FFvHuff which is an implementation of HuffYU, but supports more color spaces, etc.
Additionally Hybrid supports multiple lossless formats:
  • H.264 lossless using x264
  • H.265 lossless using x265 and NVEncC
  • AV1 losssless using aomenc
  • VP9 lossless using vpxenc
-> not planning to support an additional HuffYUV encoder.

Cu Selur

Ps.: What's wrong with the Blu-ray compatible files Hybrid produces?
(17.02.2021, 19:19)Selur Wrote: Hybrid supports FFvHuff which is an implementation of HuffYU, but supports more color spaces, etc.
Additionally Hybrid supports multiple lossless formats:
  • H.264 lossless using x264
  • H.265 lossless using x265 and NVEncC
  • AV1 losssless using aomenc
  • VP9 lossless using vpxenc
-> not planning to support an additional HuffYUV encoder.

Cu Selur

Ps.: What's wrong with the Blu-ray compatible files Hybrid produces?
I just not sure what X264 settings to chose to make Blu Ray compliant files.

For example Min/Max GOP. Reading on:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=154533

For Level 4.1 in order to encode at up 40Mbps a One Second GOP is allowed. For 60fps it would result in MAX GOP value of 60.
Even I mark up an option Base/Create Blu Ray Structure, X264/Base/Hardware BluRay/AVCHD it still gives options to set Min/Max GOP values. Setting them incorrectly might result in non-compliant BluRay file.
Note that:
a. 60fps is only supported for 720p content.
b. the standard does restrict the maximum macro blocks per second and frame (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_V...ing#Levels)
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=142758 might be interesting. Smile

Quote:Even I mark up an option Base/Create Blu Ray Structure, X264/Base/Hardware BluRay/AVCHD it still gives options to set Min/Max GOP values. Setting them incorrectly might result in non-compliant BluRay file.
Can you tell me a setting combination that Hybrid allows which is not valid which is not Blu-ray compatible while "x264->Base->Hardware" is enabled and set to "BluRay/AVCHD". Hybrid should restrict most settings and so some additional tests before the job creation.
-> I don't think there is a setting combination that Hybrid allows that is not Blu-ray compatible while "x264->Base->Hardware" is enabled and set to "BluRay/AVCHD".

Cu Selur
(17.02.2021, 21:00)Selur Wrote: Note that:
b. the standard does restrict the maximum macro blocks per second and frame (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_V...ing#Levels)

Quote:Even I mark up an option Base/Create Blu Ray Structure, X264/Base/Hardware BluRay/AVCHD it still gives options to set Min/Max GOP values. Setting them incorrectly might result in non-compliant BluRay file.
Can you tell me a setting combination that Hybrid allows which is not valid which is not Blu-ray compatible while "x264->Base->Hardware" is enabled and set to "BluRay/AVCHD". Hybrid should restrict most settings and so some additional tests before the job creation.
-> I don't think there is a setting combination that Hybrid allows that is not Blu-ray compatible while "x264->Base->Hardware" is enabled and set to "BluRay/AVCHD".

Cu Selur

OK, agreed. There are no allowed settings in Hybrid tat would result in none-compliant Blu Ray. But when you see all those available options that technically could (and they do) impact on encoded video quality, you start thinking of what those empty box or predefined values can be set. If there is no definite answer, you start developing big doubt, uncertainty, start thinking about an external video editing SW that has X264/H264 built in and not giving so many options to choose Smile.
OK, I have to start completely trust Hybrid that it would not allow me to screw up my encodings..... Smile

Thanks again for developing such amazing tool!
(17.02.2021, 21:33)Rokoko33 Wrote:
(17.02.2021, 21:00)Selur Wrote: Note that:

Cu Selur

OK, agreed. There are no allowed settings in Hybrid tat would result in none-compliant Blu Ray. But when you see all those available options that technically could (and they do) impact on encoded video quality, you start thinking of what those empty box or predefined values can be set. If there is no definite answer, you start developing big doubt, uncertainty, start thinking about an external video editing SW that has X264/H264 built in and not giving so many options to choose Smile.
OK, I have to start completely trust Hybrid that it would not allow me to screw up my encodings..... Smile

Thanks again for developing such amazing tool!

Re. min keyint = 1 there is a recommendation, posted on Doom9:
Link to encoder/encoder.c

/* Don't use I-frames, because Blu-ray treats them the same as IDR. */
        h->param.i_keyint_min = 1;
        /* Due to the proliferation of broken players that don't handle dupes properly. */

Looks like is recommended to be set to min keyint = 1 to keep players happy.
Okay, so "Blu-ray/AVCHD" automatically forces minKey to 1.
(will adjust the GUI to reflect that)

Cu Selur