This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

'Lightweight' encoder for high bitrate video, 60 FPS, YUV444?
Hi,

I am getting me a Pioneer Blu-ray optical drive, since my (cheap) DVD drive just died a month ago after almost 10 years of use. Very excited for it, since blank BD-R discs are dirt cheap.

Now, I would like to use this optical drive to dump all of my large recordings, including game recordings, on Blu-ray, so I don't rely on YouTube for archival (Google Takeout).
When recording various gameplay on my computer, I was using, up until now, H264 NVENC, to spare my CPU the hassle, otherwise games would start lagging. Problem with this is the GPU is also not great at keeping the bitrate low enough, so I would have moments when the bitrate would go through the roof at 120Mb/s. I tried limiting it to 20M, but it seems to ignore the maxrate flag, even when bufsize is applied. I am using constqp as rate control, qp=20.
I would rather not use CBR, since I sometimes play games where there's not that much changing on the screen, so a lower bitrate does fine and will help decrease the file size.

I have upgraded my CPU since from a Xeon X5650 to a Ryzen 5 5500, so it should cope better, but still wouldn't risk it with H264, especially since H264 does well at low bitrates, rather than high ones

Is there any CPU encoder that has relatively low complexity (compared to H264), supports YUV444 (FFMPEG's MPEG2 seems not to) or RGB, does good at high bitrates and can deal with max bitrate of 20 Mbits/s?
Or is there any way I could optimize H264 for my needs?

1360x768 resolution
60 FPS

Messages In This Thread
'Lightweight' encoder for high bitrate video, 60 FPS, YUV444? - by antoniu200 - 14.12.2022, 14:41