This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

4k (HDR) x265 → 1080p (SDR) x264, slow speed and low resource utilization
Helluh,

Iam testing an 4K to 1080p encoding currently. 

And to my surprise, i only achieve like near 20 fps.. 

Now, iam using an R9-5900x cpu and Multiple cores peaking at 5.0ghz (PBO2), yet for some reason the encode is going verryy slow.. peaking at 20fps 😐

Have checked a couple filters, and none are cpu/gpu intensive though !  i.e color:basic, detail sharpen, debanding and HDRtoSDR .. that's pretty much it..

Furthermore, cpu utilizes like 30 - 50% , Gpu 12 - 25% .. so very low resources are required for some reason , if you ask me  !?

Did something significant / fundamental changed about the codecs  ?

Currently using Hybrid latest 2024.06.16.1 ..

EDIT: Only the Debanding filter is somewhat gpu intensive, and is the bottleneck there, but by 5 - 6 fps.. So yes, i could have sworn i have had more fps with this cpu converting 4K to 1080p in the past..  When using no gpu intesive filters , all cores peak at 4650 Mhz .. so cpu gets utilized for atleast 99% .

Pretty shocked 4K is still a thing for modern cpu's even for gpu (Nvenc) !?

ta ta

Messages In This Thread
4k (HDR) x265 → 1080p (SDR) x264, slow speed and low resource utilization - by ToiletDuck - 29.06.2024, 23:46
RE: x265 → x264 ! - by Selur - 30.06.2024, 07:44