This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Poll: Would you like to see these features implemented?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
33.33%
1 33.33%
Some
33.33%
1 33.33%
No
0%
0 0%
Don't care
33.33%
1 33.33%
Total 3 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Feature Suggestions Regarding Automatic Filename Generation
Lightbulb 
As i've been doing a lot of test encodes lately, which mostly just consists of tediously copy-pasting Encoding settings and filesizes to text files for comparison in WinMerge, i've come up with some ideas that would make this sort of thing a whole lot faster...
  1. Support adding metadata like Filesize, Bitrate, PSNR, SSIM & Encoding settings to automatically generated filenames.
    • Since adding Encoding settings could easily result in a filename that's way too long, also allow blacklisting of user specified / redundant text strings like so:
    Blacklist:
    cpuid=*; frame-threads=*; numa-pools=*; no-pmode; no-pme; psnr; ssim; log-level=2; input-csp=1; input-res=1920x1080; interlace=0; total-frames=0; level-idc=0; high-tier=1; uhd-bd=0; ref=6; no-allow-non-conformance; no-repeat-headers; annexb; no-aud; no-hrd; info; hash=0
    • With '*' being a wildcard and ';' acting as separator. Thus user would be able to copy-paste their baseline settings here and have the filename only include the changed settings.

2. When specified, use automatically generated filenames also for intermediate Video, Audio & Subtitle tracks, each with their own Filesize(in bytes), bitrate(in Kbps), etc. metadata; renaming can be done once encoding is finished.

3. The two suggestions above would make this almost obsolete, but allowing for serialization of filenames, where for example: 'test#{2}' would become 'test#01' unless it already exists, in which case it'll become 'test#02' as opposed to just replacing the older file. This would help avoid accidental overwrites. I haven't really given much thought to whether '{#}' would be a good markup (there could be more commonly used alternative), but the general idea is to allow for padding with zeros to a specified length.

4. To keep things cleaner, I've been using a simple trick to do my encodings inside a subfolder of the source file's directory by setting 'enc\' as prefix for the filename. However .chp & .xml files are still being created inside the source file's folder. Perhaps there is a reason why these need to be there during encoding, but moving or deleting them automatically after encoding would be helpful, especially since a new one gets created every time the file is encoded, thereby making the folder slower to navigate and easier for user to accidentally delete something they shouldn't. EDIT: This is about adding full support for dynamic destination directories, not about improving or fixing an accidental 'feature'.
PS. I'm gonna see if i can create a poll on this new forum system to see whether these ideas have any traction within the userbase.

Messages In This Thread
Feature Suggestions Regarding Automatic Filename Generation - by Nuihc88 - 17.11.2017, 03:15