This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Poll: Would you like to see these features implemented?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
33.33%
1 33.33%
Some
33.33%
1 33.33%
No
0%
0 0%
Don't care
33.33%
1 33.33%
Total 3 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Feature Suggestions Regarding Automatic Filename Generation
(17.11.2017, 06:47)Selur Wrote: Regarding 1.:
This request should go to the x265 developers not me.
I requested it here since this information is mostly already available through Hybrid and the files it produces as long as mkvinfo & mediainfo are up to date. It just takes a while to gather it all manually; except for PSNR & SSIM, as i'm still not sure how to find those values after setting their Metrics on at 'x265 > Misc'.

(17.11.2017, 06:47)Selur Wrote: Regarding 2:
Not going to happen. Intermediate files did at one point contain lots of meta data which causes lots of problems on Windows due to lack of UTF-8 support through a bunch of tools and some Windows combinations. To avoid those problems Hybrid now should use generated names based on the job ID and this is the way it will stay.
I don't think i got the purpose and method of this suggestion properly across...
It would only need to rename the intermediate files (for later reference), after the encoding job is done and full file has been generated. It would only need to use metadata for files supported through mkvinfo & mediainfo. Having a standard source format to read should deal with compatibility problems. If a specified field is not found, it should display nothing and it would be run at the point these files are normally deleted. Readout forwarded to Filename could be limited to supported characters and everything else replaced with something readable.

The real benefit from Suggestions 1 & 2 would be that it would be possible to arrange files by PSNR & SSIM in any file explorer as well as keep track of trends in how .265(, etc.) file's bitrates, sizes and other values correlate with set parameters, essentially turning any file browser into a dynamic comparison chart.

(17.11.2017, 06:47)Selur Wrote: What should happen if there already is a file named 'test#2' ?
What i intend here is that it would always choose the next untaken numerical value and if it reaches #99, it'll go to #100, even if zero padding is set to only 2 digits.
(17.11.2017, 06:47)Selur Wrote: If something like this is wanted it should cover all eventualities and I need to know whether this is a feature or the file name generation or of the job processing.
I would describe it as a quick filesystem check and name correction happening about the same time the job is generating tagging info's, before intermediate files get put into a container.
  1. Essentially everything starts with checking whether Generated Filename contains '#{number}', if there is no '#' found, everything is skipped and original file is overwritten.
  2. When matching files are found for the first time this session, they are listed (internally) and to account for the possibility that user has deleted some of those files (or added a '#00' file), filenames are listed alpha-numerically (number check ends when first non numerical character after # is detected).
  3. The last filename is used as basis for an availability check: 'generated_hypothetical_filename#'+'detected_number+1' is checked.
  4. If somehow a new file is generated while this is being checked, +1 is tried, until it's succesful.
  5. On success the 'new filename' +1 is cached for the next availability check and that check starts at step 3.
(17.11.2017, 06:47)Selur Wrote: *.chp (Chapter files) and *.xml (Matroska tag files) should both be created inside the temp folder, not the source folder (unless the source is the temp folder Wink .
+ both should get deleted unless Hybrid is told to keep intermediate files (or the processing is aborted or crashed)
I chose to keep the intermediate (.265 & .aac) files as a workaround, since Hybrid overwrites the .mkv test files i'm generating (as '_new' seems to only kick in occasionally, perhaps due to some condition i'm unaware of; most of my test files only differ by one parameter). I then check their metadata with MediaTab (which internally uses mediainfo).

(17.11.2017, 06:47)Selur Wrote: Tested both here and for me the *.chp and the *.xml file both get created inside the temp folder and get deleted during normal processing.
-> If this isn't the case for you, share details and I might be able to fix it.
This is because i used 'enc\' filename prefix as a workaround in order to get a dynamic subfolder under the source folder. All other temp files get directed to 'enc\' where i want them. I realize i could just set static output and temp paths, but i want to keep my encodes close to my source files. This way i don't get my intermediates from different sources mixed up, nor do i have to jump between tabs as much.

So the point of suggestion 4 is about having full support for dynamic directories for all generated files.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Feature Suggestions Regarding Automatic Filename Generation - by Nuihc88 - 17.11.2017, 10:07