This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Audio not fully sync after feeding through Hybrid
(Was originally meant to be posted around the beginning of April but lost motivation to do it until now.)

The problem I been getting when doing a job is that the audio and video aren't in sync whether the output container is .mkv and .avi. It less than a second apart but it is noticeable. The video is 50 mins long, as shown on the two .mp4 videos in the Google Drive folder, the sync gap widen the longer. When I cut out a 15 second segment from the 50 mins long video and do the same Hybrid job as both a .mkv output and .avi output, the sync gap is shorten although still not in sync and the offsets are both different. The offset of the filtered .mkv sample and the .avi sample varies.

I test this offset by opening two VLC windows load up the original and the filtered, then I and clicking on the scrub head to a random section on the video, then alt tab to the other VLC video and click on the scrub head on the other video. This means I clicked on the exact part, time and frame of the video without moving my cursor. (There a demonstration of it in the Drive link.)

There are 4 videos demonstrating this problem, one showing a hoatzin munching on a leaf. On the original .avi, this scene happened after the narrator stopped talking for a moment. On the edited .mkv version that was fed through Hybrid (also happens if you do the output container in .avi), you can see the narrator is still talking while the hoatzin is munching on the leaf.

Another demonstration is at the end of the documentary where the broadcaster is announcing the upcoming programs while the credit roll. On the original .avi one, the video and audio are playing normally as it abruptly stop due to the fact the VHS tape has reach the end of that recording. On the .mkv version, the video freezes but the audio continues playing until the end, fully showing that there is a offset between the video and audio when filtered and edited through Hybrid.

It even happens on a smaller scale on VirtualDub where I made a basic filter edit in the software. What's the point of doing filters on these VHS captures if it going to end up out of sync? It seem like when I solve one problem, another one occurs.

Google Drive link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WjTFbBX...sp=sharing

Messages In This Thread
Audio not fully sync after feeding through Hybrid - by VHS_UK - 19.04.2022, 21:32