This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[HELP] Color Range in MXF Metadata (colour_range_Original)
Hey everyone.

I have a problem with broadcast files, created with Adobe Media Encoder (ARD-ZDF certified). So this seems to be a Adobe related problem, but maybe I can get some input here. When I export a file using the ARD-ZDF HDF02a-1.1 Profile preset, the MXF file has (among others) the following meta data (in MediaInfo):

Color range : Limited
colour_range_Original : Full

The file itself is encoded in "Legal Range" (like every common YUV encoded stream), but FFmpeg for example seems to interpret these files als "Full Range" (Premiere and Resolve are fine). As a result, all trancodes are "wrong" (lifted blacks/lower highlights). The "_Original" flags are the one from the stream, the tags witout  the "_Original" are the flags of the container as far as I know.
Where does the "_Original" flag come from? In my test the source was a ProRes (444 and 422HQ) file (Legal Range).
Of course I am able to fix this issue during transcoding in FFmpeg, but sometimes I don't have the choice in automated workflows.

To sum up: is the "colour_range_Original : Full" correct and necessary on ARD-ZDF HDF02a-1.1 Profile files? The TecSpecs say "Color Range [221W]: 897" (https://www.ard.de/die-ard/ARD-ZDF-HDF02...ks-100.pdf). Dunno what that means...

Attached Files
.pdf   mxf-profile_ard_zdf_hdf02a_-_v1.2.pdf (Size: 1,29 MB / Downloads: 79)

Messages In This Thread
Color Range in MXF Metadata (colour_range_Original) - by jan2ooo - 02.05.2023, 16:39