This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Encode to MPEG-2
I would really, really like it if Hybrid could encode to MPEG-2. Smile (please, please, please!)

Avidemux is too basic.

Encoding to 4:2:2 is a priority. I'm not aware of any ffmpeg/etc GUI that does this.
720x480, 704x480, 352x480 are priorities
Bitrate options CQ, CBR, 2pass and 1pass VBR
Bitrates from as low as 0 to (at least) max of 25mbps.

x264 has a lot of overlap with settings.

I can help you with info/suggestions on presets and default settings, if needed.
Problem with Mpeg-2 is:
a. I have no clue about the container overhead (in mpeg/vob/m2ts/mkv/mov) to properly calculate the target size of Xpass encoding.
b. I have no experience with encoding Mpeg-2 using ffmpeg which seems to be the only free and cross-plattform encoder for MPEG-2.
c. Who still uses MPEG-2? Wink
I thought about a quite a bit when x262 was started, but that project is abandoned for years and in to real finished state.

Cu Selur
(22.12.2020, 22:53)Selur Wrote: Problem with Mpeg-2 is:
a. I have no clue about the container overhead (in mpeg/vob/m2ts/mkv/mov) to properly calculate the target size of Xpass encoding.
b. I have no experience with encoding Mpeg-2 using ffmpeg which seems to be the only free and cross-plattform encoder for MPEG-2.
c. Who still uses MPEG-2?  Wink
I thought about a quite a bit when x262 was started, but that project is abandoned for years and in to real finished state.

Cu Selur

a. There should be many notes about this online. I know I read in-depth info online in the 2000s, and I actually still have lots of info that I saves (ripped out pages) from Broadcast Engineering magazine.

b. Avidemux does it, but it's very limited. Sort of like Handbrake compared against Hybrid.

c. Broadcasters, anybody that distributes optical media (DVD, Blu-ray). There's still a huge audience using MPEG-2, and probably will for at least another decade.

I can try to help you with whatever I know, or point you towards info that I'm aware of. I've been encoding MPEG-2 for almost 20 years now.
I might have some time looking into it next week. (visiting and cooking for my parents over the holidays)
a. any formula related overhead in mpeg/vob/m2ts/mkv/mov would be nice.
b. any information about the mpeg-2 related options in ffmpeg would be nice.
So if you can provide some links or send me some docs via email or pm I might read some of it over the holidays.

Cu Selur