This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[HELP] FFmpeg (NVenc) H265 HDR
I am struggling to encode an H265 video using NVenc with HDR metadata. 

I have selected the HDR patch option which results in a crash for the nvhsp job. I did some reading and I found a change log for a version of Hybrid that shifted from nvhsp to NVencC. I have built and installed NVencC, however, I am unable to get Hybrid to find it. 

I really just need some advice on how to encode 265 with NVIDIA hardware encoding AND HDR metadata. 

The log is from the last July version of Hybrid, I have the same problem on the latest august version.
Since Hybrid dropped support for 'FFmpeg (NVEnc)' on Windows systems with Hybrid version '2020.06.21.1'.
Hybrid has been using NVEncC itself to add HDR metadata instead of nvhsvp since '2018.04.08.1'.
Since you didn't attach a debug output or even mention what OS you are on I can't really say much aside from that if you are on Windows and you are using NVEncC you might need to update your drivers since NVEncC or use an older NVEncC version, because starting with version 5.10:
Add support for NVENC SDK API ver 10.0. This requires NVIDIA driver 445.87 or later.
you will need newer drivers.
If you are on Windows and want to use 'FFmpeg (NVEnc)' you need to stick to a Hybrid version before '2020.06.21.1', but remember I only support the latest Hybrid version.

If you are on Linux, the only ways to add HDR meta data atm. are either using nvhsp or using mkv as container and add them through container tags (Config->Output->MKV Container->Matroska advanced video signaling).

-> share more details about what you are doing and what OS you are in and I might be able to help further.

Cu Selur
(04.08.2020, 04:40)Selur Wrote: Since Hybrid dropped support for 'FFmpeg (NVEnc)' on Windows systems with Hybrid version '2020.06.21.1'.
Hybrid has been using NVEncC itself to add HDR metadata instead of nvhsvp since '2018.04.08.1'.
Since you didn't attach a debug output or even mention what OS you are on I can't really say much aside from that if you are on Windows and you are using NVEncC you might need to update your drivers since NVEncC or use an older NVEncC version, because starting with version 5.10:
Add support for NVENC SDK API ver 10.0. This requires NVIDIA driver 445.87 or later.
you will need newer drivers.
If you are on Windows and want to use 'FFmpeg (NVEnc)' you need to stick to a Hybrid version before '2020.06.21.1', but remember I only support the latest Hybrid version.

If you are on Linux, the only ways to add HDR meta data atm. are either using nvhsp or using mkv as container and add them through container tags (Config->Output->MKV Container->Matroska advanced video signaling).

-> share more details about what you are doing and what OS you are in and I might be able to help further.

Cu Selur

Woah totally didn't see the 'add attachment' button when I made this post. I'm currently using Linux Mint 20 with the most current 450 Nvidia Drivers. I have attempted to use the 'hdr patch' option to activate nvhsp, however, i keep getting an absolute path error. I have verified that nvhsp is in the hybrid directory. When I click on the nvhsp button on the tool list to pick a different directory, nothing happens like when i click on all the other ones. Will hybrid support NEVencC under linux? I would prefer not to use the mkv advanced signaling as I've read it does not perform the same way.[attachment=958]

Also... if advanced MKV signaling is the only option - is there a way to make hybrid pull it from the source like the hdr patch option does?
Quote:Also... if advanced MKV signaling is the only option - is there a way to make hybrid pull it from the source like the hdr patch option does?
Nope, there's no automation for that. (It is planned in the future, but probably not any time soon.)

The 'set absolute paths crashed,...' is strange seems like Hybrid doesn't know where to find nvhsp.
Does "Config->Tools" show the path to nvhsp ?

Cu Selur
(04.08.2020, 17:15)Selur Wrote:
Quote:Also... if advanced MKV signaling is the only option - is there a way to make hybrid pull it from the source like the hdr patch option does?
Nope, there's no automation for that. (It is planned in the future, but probably not any time soon.)

The 'set absolute paths crashed,...' is strange seems like Hybrid doesn't know where to find nvhsp.
Does "Config->Tools" show the path to nvhsp ?

Cu Selur

Yes. When I click on the nvhsp button to try to select a different directory (a downloaded copy of nvhsp) nothing happens, it doesn't bring up the open directory window like the rest of the tools do.

No clue atm. why the nvhsp path info isn't given to the job processing.
-> I'll look into it tomorrow after work. (no time today, since I'm not home until bed time)

Cu Selur
Sorry, didn't find time to look into it since the vapoursynth build scripts seem to be broken,.. :/

Cu Selur
(06.08.2020, 21:11)Selur Wrote: Sorry, didn't find time to look into it since the vapoursynth build scripts seem to be broken,.. :/

Cu Selur
Well that explains the VapourSynth script issue...
Any updates on this?
(Vapoursynth build script works, there had even been a Hybrid release till then)
"Config->Output->MKV Container->Matroska advanced video signaling" has an 'Import HDR Data from source' button. Smile
Totally forgot about the nvhsp absolute path issue. Smile
-> I'll look into it.

Cu Selur