This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Temporar AQ problem in NVENCC HEVC
Hello Selur!

Temporar AQ is an inactive and it is a non selectable option in NVENCC HEVC settings, despite NVENCC officially supports it.
Can you fix that in NVENCC?
Can you add it to the FFMPEG version of NVENC too?

And can you write a short suggestion for the users into the help panel of Hybrid, that Temporar AQ can increase quality only in VBR (Variable bitrate) mode, in CBR mode it is not suggested..
Thank you very much!

Best regards!

Alexander

[Image: image.png]
'NVEncC --help' reports:
--aq-temporal                [H264] enable temporal adaptive quantization
which is why it's disabled atm.
Since https://github.com/rigaya/NVEnc/blob/mas...ions.en.md doesn't report it as H.264 only any more I'll adjust it for the next release.

Cu Selur
Hello Selur!

It seems that in the last dev-build the temporal adaptive quantization is still not enabled for Codec h265. I enabled it manually by changing the flag "<HybridData name="aqTemporal" value="true"/>" in the "xml" configuration file, but it seems that it does not makes any difference in the ouput, probably it is effective if used with variable bitrate (*), but this is not a kind of encoding which I'm using with Nvenc. Vice versa the spatial adaptive quantization works and improve significantly the encoding quality (at cost of a bigger size).

(*)
I found something in this post: http://forum.doom9.net/showthread.php?t=176889&page=6
Quote:It seems that in the last dev-build the temporal adaptive quantization is still not enabled for Codec h265.
It should be available if:
a. 'AQ (temporal) yes' is included in the 'Codec: H.265/HEVC' section of the 'NVEncC --check-features' output
b. another 'Encoding mode' than 'constant quantizer' is used.

If working around that detection by either:
a. adding '--aq-temporal' to the command line, or
b. overwriting the settings in the xml
and thus changing the command line, doesn't have any effect on the output, there is nothing I can do about it.

Cu Selur