This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

DeInterlace QTGMC-Bob strange frame issue
Hi Selur, I'm new to Hybrid, quite liking it so far... (latest version 2019.06.09.2)

I'm having a strange issue when De-interlacing (QTGMC Bob) DV captured videos.
Doing ProRes, preset 'very slow', and 'order 2' for Lower field first..
After analyzing frame by frame, I noticed the following:
Every 'x' amount of frames, seems like it adds a 'prior' frame (so the video kind of rewinds momentarily before continuing)...
When I try it without the Bob option (29.97), instead of adding a 'prior' frame, it 'repeats' a frame, giving a momentary pause to the video.
Hopefully you can point me in the right direction as to a any settings I can adjust...
Thank you in advance.

Here's a link to both test videos (41 sec), as well as the original, and debug files:
(29.97) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nif8-2m...sp=sharing

(59.94) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sTVhzfa...sp=sharing

(Source) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_N2nKAq...sp=sharing
Had a quick look:
Try using QTGMC Bob in combination with (Other->Restore)sRestore with a target frame rate of 23.976 fps.
Seems to give the best results (tweaking the sRestore settings might offer some further improvement)
Thank you for looking into this..
Indeed, your workaround yields a better result, though I feel funny about dropping frames/info...
I'll keep tweaking with sRestore then.
But still puzzled as to why that happens...
Quote:But still puzzled as to why that happens...
The frame jumps seems to be related to QTGMC when using for example:
# Deinterlacing
clip = core.yadifmod.Yadifmod(clip=clip, edeint=core.nnedi3cl.NNEDI3CL(clip=clip,field=2), order=1, mode=1)
(YadifMod, Mode=1, Order=1, Edint = NNEDI3CL, NNEDI mode 2)
the result looks 'okay', but with lots of ghosting in some scenes maybe additionally using sRestore might help,...
All in all I guess that the source was original telecined and then captured to interlaced or something similar,...

Cu Selur
(26.07.2019, 17:56)Selur Wrote:
# Deinterlacing
clip = core.yadifmod.Yadifmod(clip=clip, edeint=core.nnedi3cl.NNEDI3CL(clip=clip,field=2), order=1, mode=1)
the result looks 'okay', but with lots of ghosting in some scenes maybe additionally using sRestore might help,...
All in all I guess that the source was original telecined and then captured to interlaced or something similar,...

Cu Selur

Good enough!!
As a side note, the original was VHS but it was captured through a DV camcorder...
Maybe something got altered in that process...
Again, thank you very much for your help!!
Randall
(26.07.2019, 22:31)SupermanTV Wrote:
(26.07.2019, 17:56)Selur Wrote:
# Deinterlacing

Cu Selur

Good enough!!
As a side note, the original was VHS but it was captured through a DV camcorder...
Maybe something got altered in that process...
Again, thank you very much for your help!!
Randall

An interesting observation:

- I tried QTGMC-Bob (Field Order 0) with x264/x265 mp4, and I get a very good output with NO frame jumping...
But I need ProRes for further editing...
Output format should have no influence on the 'jumping' frames (doesn't here) only the filtering.
I use the Vapoursynth Preview to check whether there are such frames.
Seeing that half of the frames seem to be near duplicates I still would use sRestore (maybe with a target frame rate of 29.97).

Cu Selur
(28.07.2019, 08:10)Selur Wrote: Output format should have no influence on the 'jumping' frames (doesn't here) only the filtering.
I use the Vapoursynth Preview to check whether there are such frames.
Seeing that half of the frames seem to be near duplicates I still would use sRestore (maybe with a target frame rate of 29.97).

Cu Selur

Ok, I'll keep tweaking sRestore then..
Thank you!