This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[HELP] how to change color space standard correctly when upscale footage?
i read from internet that when converting SD footage to HD is tricky because they don’t use the same color space standards.
SD uses Rec601 specifications and HD Rec709

so when i try to upscale 720×480 to 1920×1280, is it need to set like this? what's the pre and post clipping mean?

[Image: 6J7iS.jpg]

if check the "Adjust by resolution Clipping", it will change the color space standard automaticlly by video resolution before and encoded?
Quote:so when i try to upscale 720×480 to 1920×1280, is it need to set like this?
Yes, and 'Rec.709' would have been automatically selected it you resize from SD to HD.
Quote:what's the pre and post clipping mean?
What is unclear about the tool-tip?
Quote:Clipping:
Specifies whether pre/post clipping with limiter to 16-235/16-240 should be used.

Possible settings:
- no clipping
- pre clipping (clip input to ColorMatrix)
- post clipping (clip output from ColorMatrix)
- pre and post clipping (clip input and output from ColorMatrix)

Default: pre and post clipping
(14.04.2020, 19:21)Selur Wrote:
Quote:so when i try to upscale 720×480 to 1920×1280, is it need to set like this?
Yes, and 'Rec.709' would have been automatically selected it you resize from SD to HD.
Quote:what's the pre and post clipping mean?
What is unclear about the tool-tip?
Quote:Clipping:
Specifies whether pre/post clipping with limiter to 16-235/16-240 should be used.

Possible settings:
- no clipping
- pre clipping (clip input to ColorMatrix)
- post clipping (clip output from ColorMatrix)
- pre and post clipping (clip input and output from ColorMatrix)

Default: pre and post clipping

OK, thank you
Yep, when you upscale SD to HD you need to apply Rec601 to HD Rec709.
I tested and proofed this in DaVinci Resolve. DaVinci Resolve automatically manage SD or HD matrix depending of resolution, so if i upscale SD to HD in Hybrid and don't apply Rec601 to HD Rec709 color, i always see color shift in DaVinci Resolve compare so original SD video.

Note that even if most SD video is coded with Rec601, a lot of computer video players can not read Rec601 correctly and so they always process both SD and HD video as Rec709. This is another reason to upscale SD to HD. When you upscale SD to HD and apply Rec601 to HD Rec709 transformation, you will now always see real original correct colors.
(15.04.2020, 12:11)shijan Wrote: Yep, when you upscale SD to HD you need to apply Rec601 to HD Rec709.
I tested and proofed this in DaVinci Resolve. DaVinci Resolve automatically manage SD or HD matrix depending of resolution, so if i upscale SD to HD in Hybrid and don't apply Rec601 to HD Rec709 color, i always see color shift in DaVinci Resolve compare so original SD video.

Note that even if most SD video is coded with Rec601, a lot of computer video players can not read Rec601 correctly and so they always process both SD and HD video as Rec709. This is another reason to upscale SD to HD. When you upscale SD to HD and apply Rec601 to HD Rec709 transformation, you will now always see real original correct colors.

good, thank you.