This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[HELP] how to get the super best encode quality? no consider hard disk space
if i set like this, can get the super best of best quality which theoretically speaking? no consider hard disk space in spite of the encoded file are super huge.

[Image: 6sJEz.jpg]

or if i using "Average Bitrate 1-pass" mode, and setting a super high bitrate value, does it have the same effect of setting like this above?
Practically:
  • x264->Base->Restriction Settings->AVC/Profile/Lebel -> High4:4:4/unrestricted
  • x264->Base->General Settings->Encoding mode ->1-pass constant quantizer
  • x264->Base->General Settings->Lossless
will create a lossless output (aside from filtering) and huge files.
RateControl, etc. will only influence the size of the output not the quality.
Information perservatin doesn't get better than lossless.

Cu Selur
(17.04.2020, 15:12)Selur Wrote: Practically:
  • x264->Base->Restriction Settings->AVC/Profile/Lebel -> High4:4:4/unrestricted
  • x264->Base->General Settings->Encoding mode ->1-pass constant quantizer
  • x264->Base->General Settings->Lossless
will create a lossless output (aside from filtering) and huge files.
RateControl, etc. will only influence the size of the output not the quality.
Information perservatin doesn't get better than lossless.

Cu Selur

you mean setting like this?

[Image: 6s2bL.jpg]

and if i want the best quality, but the smallest file size, which mode to use and how to set? thanks
Yes, but applying the preset will only influence the file size a bit and the encoding time a lot.
(17.04.2020, 19:00)Selur Wrote: Yes, but applying the preset will only influence the file size a bit and the encoding time a lot.

if i want the best quality, but the smallest file size, which mode to use and how to set?
If you want lossless quality and smallest file size then using preset placebo is fine (personally I would stop at 'very slow').
In general 'slow' and 'very slow' are the presets which are fine for me and if it's a simple reencode I usually will go for crf 16, but post folks are fine with 18-22.

Cu Selur
(17.04.2020, 20:36)Selur Wrote: If you want lossless quality and smallest file size then using preset placebo is fine (personally I would stop at 'very slow').
In general 'slow' and 'very slow' are the presets which are fine for me and if it's a simple reencode I usually will go for crf 16, but post folks are fine with 18-22.

Cu Selur

so if i always choose using CRF 15, preset: placebo, is it always a good choice? though the encoded file a little big.

how about AVC profile/level setting? always High, and over 4.2 or unrestricted?
Quote:so if i always choose using CRF 15, preset: placebo, is it always a good choice?
There is no setting that is always a good choice.

Quote:how about AVC profile/level setting? always High, and over 4.2 or unrestricte
No. You should read up on what the profile and profiles are for and what they do.

Cu Selur