This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Apple going ARM,...
What do you think about Apple switching to ARM processors?

For them I see the appeal:
a. the get more independent from Intel and AMD
b. the can better customize their hardware
c. they can lock down their systems more and might get rid of Hackintosh users for a few years once they witch completely to ARM only.

For developers it will be a pain since all tools will have to be compiled and optimized for ARM and might require some additional adjustment to run on their software and cpu.
Sure the next two years there is Rosetta 2, but that is only for the next to years, then you will have to stick with your old OS and Hardware or you will have to be sure you code runs on ARM.
(hopefully Qt will have ARM support and all the tools Hybrid uses can be compiled for ARM till then otherwise even when I get my hands on a new Mac Hybrid would have to be rewritten completely,...)

Cu Selur
Yeah i am not happy about it, i run wimdows stuff from time to time in bootcamp, and though there is a arm based windows 10 Install, native intel apps are what i want to use. So things like esxi supporting arm osx will be a no go. 

California has a law, that the company needs to provide support for s product for 10 years, that doesn’t mean they have to provide New OS’s for them, but they have to be fixed. Sine we will see maybe 1 or 2 new intel macs before they make the change. I am guessing we get 4-5 years of operating systems that still run on intel macs. 

All speculation i guess.

I agree they did this to gain more profit, and not be at the mercy of intel. They already dropped nvidia so. 
They want to block hackintoshes 
And they want more ios integration.

All of which to me suck. I Love my ipad, but not as a full computer. Also Mac gaming will Only run ios games essentially. Pc games will be ported even less now.
Seems like Windows is also looking more into ARM and x64 emulators, see:
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperie...s-changed/

Cu Selur
Just had a look at the new MacMini,..
Apple M1 chip with 8-core CPU and 8-core GPU
16-core Neural Engine
8GB unified memory
256GB SSD storage
Gigabit Ethernet
aside from the RAM not bad, but an additional 200€/$ for an additional 8GB RAM is just rude, when keeping in mind that 8 GB DDR4 ram is something like 30€.
Reading:
Quote:Note: Mac mini memory is not user accessible. If you think you’ll need additional memory, it’s important to upgrade at the time of purchase.
I suspect that the RAM will be soldered to the mainboard,... and thus increasing the price in Germany from ~779 € (by nearly 30%) to ~1003 €.
Also the M1 chip doesn't support external GPUs, so no way to use NVIDA/AMD/Intel VPUs for encoding or decoding.

Cu Selur