This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[HELP] 640x480 but in 16:9
Hello and thank you for taking the time to look at my question. I recently started using Hybrid and I have to admit it is one of the best video encoders I have ever used. My question is I'm trying to encode a 640x480 video from MP4 to MKV but make it so the output is 16:9 instead of 4:3. I have tried all the settings in the PAR tap and all the 16:9 settings result in 16:10 with black bars. I use xmedia recode and I can do the same and the result will be 16:9 without black bars. I like Hybrid and I want to use it as my daily program if I can just get help with this issue.

Thank you and thanks the developer for his amazing hard work with Hybrid.
if your content is 640x480 with square pixels and you want a  PAL 16:9 DAR you can either:
  • keep the square pixel (1:1 PAR) and distort the image by resizing it to for example 640*16/11x480 (aiming for a DAR of 16:11).
    This can be done by disabling 'Crop/Resize->Base->Picture Resize->Auto adjust' and setting 'Crop/Resize->Base->Picture Resize->Target resolution' to 480*1.4545x480=698x480.
  • distort the image by keeping the resolution and changing the output par without resizing.
    This can be done in Hybrid by:
    1. changing the output PAR to 16x11
    2. disabling 'Crop/Resize->Base->Picture Resize->Auto adjust'
    3. setting  'Crop/Resize->Base->Picture Resize->Target resolution' to the resolution you got after cropping if you did no cropping then the input resolution.
  • add black borders to the sides, by enabling 'Crop/Resize->Base->Letterbox' and setting it to for example 698x480.
  • keep the square pixel (1:1 PAR) and crop the input to a resolution which has the DAR you aim for so for example 640x(640*11/16)=640x440.

So your options are:
a. distort image
b. use black borders
c. crop image
(d. some combination of the above)

You might want to read [INFO] About pixel aspect ratios,.. and the sites linked there and in general read up on what DAR and PAR stand for and what their relationship is. Once you understand that you see why there are no other options and probably get a better understanding in what the options in Hybrid really mean and do. Smile

Cu Selur
Thank you very much I will try your method and let you know. Keep up the good work.