This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Hybrid UI Icons Redesign and Discussion
Let's discuss here ideas and concepts about Hybrid UI icons.
Original Hybrid icons shared by Selur here:
https://forum.selur.net/showthread.php?t...43#pid9043

Some personal thoughts:
- Hybrid main icon looks nice.
- audioQueue, chapterQueue, jobQueue and other fancy text names looks nice, but use slightly different font sizes (containerTags, subtitleQueue, chapterQueue are larger sized. jobQueue, tagQueue, audioQueue are smaller sized).
- I prefer disableIcons=true mode in misc.ini, because for my view it is way easier to read and understand buttons with text than learn complicated system of custom and too nuanced icons.
- I noticed that Hybrid icons in macOS look way smaller than usually shown on Windows version screenshots. Is this a bug or just some specifics in macOS/Windows UI scaling?
- Do you think is it possible to use SVG vector icons instead of raster images?
- Hybrid icons are hardcoded inside app but not placed in "Resources" folder. So it is impossible to customize icons without recompiling app from sources.
- I see that source icons sizes are randomly oversized and scaled down by UI. This is bad because scaling raster or vector sources will always produce blurry looking icons. Icons should be pixel perfectly drawn at exact same size as they appears in UI. Vector based SVG icons also should be optimized to some fixed pixel size.
[Image: ueFOOaw.gif]

vsViewer is formally different app, but from user side it feels like part of Hybrid. So i guess icons style may be unified between them. Here is my sketch for vsViewer icons redesign based on SF Apple Symbols https://www.avanderlee.com/swift/sf-symbols-guide/ combined with custom drawn icons i made for PhotoLine https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.ph...2&start=30 . I posted same idea to VapourSynth Editor developers, but they don't like the idea to use free icons (and their modificatios) provided by Apple https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p...ost1921609
- vsViewer icons also hardcoded inside app but not placed in "Resources" folder. So it is impossible to customize icons without recompiling app from sources.
[Image: k9jDNzf.jpg]
Quote:I noticed that Hybrid icons in macOS look way smaller than usually shown on Windows version screenshots. Is this a bug or just some specifics in macOS/Windows UI scaling
My guess it's: depended on the dpi vs scalling on the system, got a 5k (5120x2800), a sub 4k (3440x1440) and a normal full HD (1920x1080) monitor and they all show different icon sizes and scalings even on Windows and the same happens when switching to Mac.
Never really cared to look into it, always have more pressing bugs to fix.

Quote:Do you think is it possible to use SVG vector icons instead of raster images?
Yes, if the icons were converted into svg Qt should support using svg instead of png files.

Quote:vsViewer icons also hardcoded inside app but not placed in "Resources" folder. So it is impossible to customize icons without recompiling app from sources.
Same as with Hybrid. Icons are in a resource folder, but it's part of the program not in a separate folder to modify and it's not as simple as switching files in a folder.
Ok, let's start from simple things:
I find a font used for audioQueue, chapterQueue, jobQueue and other fancy text names, and create SVG images with unified font size and with slightly changed layout.
These new svg images have no empty space edges, so if possible you can manually re-position them as you like.
It seems old PNG images use empty space at the left and top to define a position. If you need SVGs with same dimensions and with same empty edges, i can do another pack. Or i can align them more accurate using same empty space at the left and top.

Attached Files
.zip   svg_fancy_text_pack-1.zip (Size: 25,61 KB / Downloads: 117)
Should be easy to switch the icons.
Will look at it on the Mac VM tomorrow, going to bed now. Smile
Here are also few versions of PayPal button that may fit better into new wide space.

Attached Files
.zip   Donate_with_PayPal_Logo-Fancy.zip (Size: 9,85 KB / Downloads: 151)
Don't like those, they are to wide.
And the current one, I added for testing, isn't a 'PayPal donate', but a normal 'PayPal'-button.
Normal PayPal button also looks nice, but probably slightly abstract in definition. "donate" add-on makes it more defined.
It is strange that no any "PayPal donate" button provided after their logo redesign. In old version they have default orange capsule button for that.
-> I'll edit the normal PayPal svg when I find some time