This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[HELP] Any Way to Only Encode A Little Bit, Stop the Encode and Then Check the Result?
I am new to Hybrid, I wanted to deinterlace a DVD and crop the hardcoded black bars, but there are so many settings in there that I would need to do a lot of testing to get it right, problem is, is that I can not seem to be able encode 1% or 2% of the DVD, stop the encoding and then check out the result with MPC-BE, can I do that? Because when I stop an encoding midway, I can't see any partial encodes in the folder where I chose to save the encode.
a. Temporary files are in the temp folder. (Config->Paths)
b. Hybrid has an experimental cut option which can be used for what you want, you can enable it under Config->Internals->Cut Support.
c. Hybrid has normal, Avisynth and Vapoursynth previews which allow to preview the filtering.

Cu Selur
(11.11.2020, 16:54)Selur Wrote: a. Temporary files are in the temp folder. (Config->Paths)
b. Hybrid has an experimental cut option which can be used for what you want, you can enable it under Config->Internals->Cut Support.
c. Hybrid has normal, Avisynth and Vapoursynth previews which allow to preview the filtering.

Cu Selur

Thank you very much that was very helpful, the QTGMC + bob deinterlacing is awesome from what I can see so far, though I do have 2 more questions now if you wouldn't mind.

1. When I encode a video with Hybrid I get colors that are quite off when I compare the Hybrid encode together with the source, I don't know what could be the issue, both the Hybrid encodes and the source are YUV, 4:2:0, 8-bit, Limited Range, the only difference I see is that the encodes say that they are "BT.709" while the source mediainfo doesn't say anything like that, not sure if that's the issue though. Might you have any idea what could be the issue and how I could get accurate colors that match the source?

2. The DVD has a storage aspect ratio of 720x480, but the display aspect ratio is actually 640x480 (no hardcoded black bars on this one), on Handbrake I know how to get rid of the 720x480 storage aspect ratio and just get an encode at the display aspect ratio of 640x480, see Handbrake screenshots:

Before:

[Image: PpuaGEQ.png]

After:

[Image: gdj7D1G.png]

But how do you do that with Hybrid?

Thank you in advance.
Quote:But how do you do that with Hybrid?
you:
  • enable "Filtering->Crop/Resize->Base->Pixel Aspect Ratio (PAR)->Convert output to PAR"
  • set "Filtering->Crop/Resize->Base->Pixel Aspect Ratio (PAR)->Convert output to PAR" to "Square Pixel (1:1)"
  • Set "Filtering->Crop/Resize->Base->Picture Resize->Target resolution (width)" to '640'.

Hybrid mainly relies on the color information of the source, but guesses if no source is present for a DVD a Hybrid assumes BT.709.
Assuming you don't use any RGB<>YUV conversion during the filtering, Hybrid does only use the color information for the automatic flagging of the output.
Which you can overwrite in the settings of most of the encoders.

Cu Selur
(12.11.2020, 18:06)Selur Wrote: Assuming you don't use any RGB<>YUV conversion during the filtering

Thank you, so is that recommended? If so, how do I  do that with Hybrid? I tried to look for the option and google it, but couldn't find anything.
Quote:Thank you, so is that recommended?
No, it's not.
It's necessary evil. Hybrid tried to keep color conversions down and only converts from one to another color space if necessary.
So unless you use a filter which only works in RGB (or requires RGB), configure Hybrid output to RGB or feed it with RGB content Hybrid will only use RGB<>YUV conversions for preview.

The color matrix info is usually saved inside the VUI info of a stream so that the decoder knows which color matrix to use to convert YUV content to RGB for playback.
So if your playback color is 'off' and you didn't use RGB<>YUV conversions or explicitly changed the color matrix during filtering, you can simply change the VUI info in the encoder.

Cu Selur