This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[HELP] Trouble reading Pointer file in MXF type file
Download size isn't a problem.

Quote: I can confirm that FCP finds only noise (effectively nothing) on the four audio channels.
Good, then I assume for the time being that ffmpeg can handle the audio. Smile

As a side note:
When you know that of the four tracks one two have audio, you might want to get accustomed with the 'Audio->Base->Audio Encoding Options->merge audio streams->custom' to end up with a stereo stream and not with a 4.0 stream with only audio in two tracks.

Cu Selur
(03.12.2017, 14:10)Selur Wrote: As a side note:
When you know that of the four tracks one two have audio, you might want to get accustomed with the 'Audio->Base->Audio Encoding Options->merge audio streams->custom' to end up with a stereo stream and not with a 4.0 stream with only audio in two tracks.

Cu Selur

The media is all for post production work so they are supposed to be discreet individual tracks. The Television cameras record split mono sound from mono microphones to four discreet tracks. The edited stories are composed of seperate mono tracks for down mixing to air, we have 2 and 4 track versions of stories and sometimes the 3rd and 4th tracks end up as stereo pairs.

You can see then that I wouldn't want the NLE to interpret the media as stereo as I would have to pan out the audio that I don't want. So in this case it is preferable to retain individual tracks. But yes if they were stereo to begin with that would be helpful. For example the 4 track edited stories may be defined as ch1-2 mono, ch3-4stereo.

And thanks again for the help. this has been torturing me for months now.
Small status info:
a. Couldn't figure out a way to use mplayer to view a mov reference file so no normal preview. Sad
b. Only way I found so far to open such a mov in Avisynth is using QtSource, but I'm reluctant to add this to Hybrid since it requires Quicktime 7 for Windows which even Apple dropped support for due to security issues. So no 'good' solution so far.
c. Atm. there's no Vapoursynth filter which can open such a mov, but Myrsloik (main Vapoursynth developer) might look into this. Smile

So atm. I could adjust Hybrid to handle such files, but filtering&co would be harshly limited, especially since no preview would be available. Sad
-> will look into it some more Smile

Cu Selur
(04.12.2017, 20:53)Selur Wrote: So atm. I could adjust Hybrid to handle such files, but filtering&co would be harshly limited, especially since no preview would be available. Sad
-> will look into it some more Smile

Cu Selur

I know that it would be UX limiting for your app, but I would just through clips at it and know that it would work.  Big Grin

But I guess preview is useful so that I could filter the media that doesn't need conversion.  Dodgy

There are a mixture of 2 track and 4 track files. Would Hybrid throw up an error on a "2 track clip" if trying to parse everything as 4 track? I would be fine with making everything 4 track media.
By default Hybrid will merge all audio streams to one output stream if you simply enable 'Audio->Base->Audio Encoding Options->merge audio streams', but with the 'custom' option you can tell it to only merge specific tracks. So whether the input has one, two, three, four or eight streams isn't really an issue.
Oh I see thank you. I will be back at work in 3 days so I'll be able to find another test file and test any app patches you may want me to.
Sad news. Sad
Doesn't look like there will be support for such files any time soon in Vaporsynth.
(see: https://github.com/FFMS/ffms2/issues/306, myrsloik is the main dev behind Vapoursynth and he also closed the issue I opened in the Vapoursynth issue tracker)
-> so probably no Vapoursynth support for such files any time soon

Cu Selur