This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

ffmpeg_32 crashes repeatedly on 10-bit hevc encode
My source video is 1920x1080. I was successfully able to encode the clip mulitple times at resized 1280x720. Now having my 720 versions, I wanted to make a 1080 version. So literally the only setting I change is to uncheck resize. Now ffmpeg_32 crashes all the time soon after it starts the actual hevc encode process.

Using most recent hybrid 2017.10.05.1 on windows 8.1 pro x64 on an old xeon x5680 cpu.

I've attached the crash message as well as the debug output.

Thanks for any insight.Please, read the 'Infos needed to fix&reproduce bugs,..'-sticky before you post about a problem.
Avisynth is probably running out of RAM (since it's a 32bit application), try disabling 'Filtering->Avisynth->Misc->add distributor()' and recreate the job. This will lower the amount of threads and thus the RAM usage an probably not cause a crash.

Cu Selur
Curious. Tried your trick. Still got the ffmpeg_32 crash popup. Clicked close and went back to job queue and clicked start/resume anyway just to see what would happen. Seems to be working so far.. 32.85% encoding...

Checking my Task Manager, I have 16 GB total ram (2x 8GB dimm) with 4.4 GB overall in use.

Hybrid gui takes 115.6 MB memory and ffmpeg_32 is taking 1859.3 MB and x265 is taking 787.3 MB. I would expect avisynth to be in this ballpark too? And all seem to be far below the 32 bit address limit.
Memory usage of ffmpeg is basically what Avisynth uses.
Aside from disabling 'Filtering->Avisynth->Misc->add distributor()' setting 'Filtering->Avisynth->Misc->MT-Threads' to something like 4 or 8 should also help.

Cu Selur
Interesting. Setting the MT seems to do the trick. No crash message. Since I have 6c/12t cpu, I just set it for 6 threads and that seemed to do just fine. Tonight when I run it again, I'll try unsetting MT back to 0 and see what happens.
More threads -> more memory consumption -> it will probably crash. Smile
As a general note: Using Vapoursynth instead of Avisynth will avoid the memory crashs and probably result in faster encoding.
TBH, I never need to use any settings under avisynth/vapoursynth, but I did set it to prefer vapoursynth like you recommend. I also left the MT at 6 since 0 seemed to cause problems. With these two changes, I've been able to complete 2 more encodes with no crashes!
If you select 'Vapoursynth' instead of 'Avisynth', the settings in the 'Avisynth'-tab don't matter.
Other than that, especially on machines with more than 4 cpu cores Vapoursynth is often faster since it scales better with the number of cores and since it's 64bit it doesn't run so fast into memory problems.

-> Happy it helped. Smile

Cu Selur