This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[GUIDE] Ubuntu repository - maintained by djcj
@djcj: Installing hybrid-tools also installs 'qt4' packages -> why?
(23.06.2019, 09:36)Selur Wrote: @djcj: Installing hybrid-tools also installs 'qt4' packages -> why?
At least one of the tools needs Qt4 (I don't remember which).
Only thing I can think of was BDSup2SubPlusPlus, but that is Qt5 compatible for years,..
-> there shouldn't be any need for Qt5

Cu Selur
I'll have a look at it and maybe I'll even rewrite it all completely.

By the way, Hybrid is looking for MediaInfo but the binary's name is mediainfo. Maybe it should do a case-insensitive check as a fallback or something like that.

Update:

Okay, I've been thinking about it, but I think I have not a lot of interest anymore in maintaining a PPA, especially not with VapourSynth included.
Most of the tools can easily be compiled or installed, and I guess most people will only need a handful of them anyway.
(23.06.2019, 14:42)Selur Wrote: Only thing I can think of was BDSup2SubPlusPlus, but that is Qt5 compatible for years,..
-> there shouldn't be any need for Qt5

Cu Selur
Are you sure?
-> https://github.com/amichaelt/BDSup2SubPl.../issues/42

Now I remember that BDSup2SubPlusPlus didn't build for Qt5 because it needs qxt which is only available for Qt4.
I'm building it with Qt5 for years,.. so: Yes
I attached the source I use, which iirc I didn't change much,.. (I think I modified it a bit to remove some warning,..)
-> too large,.. -> https://drive.google.com/open?id=13mkRIW...rToRnoQNRJ
You're using this repo, I see: https://github.com/amichaeltm/BDSup2SubPlusPlus
Why did he move over there?
I think you should update some of the links in your "License and Dependencies" section.

Anyway, I really think I'm gonna delete the PPA in the near future. If Hybrid needs specific newer versions of some tools, why not provide your own builds?
Shouldn't a good ffmpeg build make most of the other tools obsolete anyway? (i.e. why use x264 CLI if ffmpeg was built with libx264 support)
Quote:Shouldn't a good ffmpeg build make most of the other tools obsolete anyway? (i.e. why use x264 CLI if ffmpeg was built with libx264 support)
yes, but
a. building ffmpeg with all the tools up-to-date is a pain, since some of them often break ffmpeg
b. ffmpegs often does not support the newest option right after they got added
c. ffmpegs documentation often is a pain (especially for newer stuff)
d. reporting bugs to the authors of the tools directly often gets things (often; not counting tools from google) a lot faster fixed then reporting it to the ffmpeg team
e. I like to keep it as flexible as possible
f. there are already GUIs out there for ffmpeg (or handbrake)
Keeping tools separated also allows users to use modded x264/x265 builds which anime folks often use.

Quote:Why did he move over there?
No clue, totally forgot and overlooked that the repository changed quite a while ago. Smile

Quote:I think you should update some of the links in your "License and Dependencies" section.
Yeah, I known, I kind of wanted to do that for quite some time,..

Cu Selur
I've removed the packages from the PPA.
The repository itself is still there, so people won't get error messages during updates.
Package sources will still be available: https://github.com/darealshinji/hybrid-debian

It's not impossible to provide system-agnostic binaries of the encoding tools, so if you or someone else wants to do that I can still help with that.
I definitely lack the time to maintain a ppa.
Since you removed the packages from the ppa, I'll remove the ppa from the download page and 'unstick' this thread.

Cu Selur