This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[INFO] Hybrid Optimized for M1 Macs?
Hi!

I use both Windows and a M1 Mac Mini for video processing tasks. I primarily use my Windows desktops (all have 3000 RTX series cards along with 12th Gen i9 / Ryzen 9 5900 CPU's). I purchased a M1 Mac Mini last year to test our with Topaz Video Enhance AI (yeah, Hybrid does a better job but it is optimized for M1 Macs). I've searched through the forum and read a bunch of older posts that relate to this somewhat but still have some questions.

I have the latest public release version of Hybrid installed on my M1 Mac Mini and most every function in Hybrid runs at super slow speed compared to the Windows versions. Granted, I know the hardware specs on my Windows machines is faster and that the M1 stuff is ARM based and probably relying on Rosetta emulation layer to run Hybrid?

The questions I have are:

• Is it expected for video processing tasks to run pretty slow on M1 hardware compared to Windows counterpart? Example: if I just do some basic QTGMC deinterlacing on a 22 minute 480p remuxed DVD file, it processes around 1-2fps where my Windows counterpart runs around 160+ fps processing the same file.
  • Are there any viable ML upscaling functionality on the Mac Hybrid version that work and/or process at a decent speed? I use Real ESRGAN in Hybrid on my Windows machines and with the 3000 series RTX cards, I can upscale a 22 minute animated episode from 480p to 1080p in about an hour or so. On the M1 Mac, most of the ML features don't work or super slow. I realize this is probably a limitation of what the developers of these 3rd party ML software support but didn't if there are recommended options? Most of the stuff I have seen only accepts image file inputs and not direct video for upscaling.
  • I realize you may have limitations on the Mac Hybrid development as I don't know what Apple hardware access you have for testing and development and can definitely limit your development and/or you just might not have that many current Mac users and not worth putting a bunch of development time in it for you.

I'm not complaining about the Mac Hybrid version as the Windows version works great for me and will continue using! It is nice to be able to offload longer video processing tasks to the M1 Mac since it uses a lot less electricity than my Windows desktop counterparts. I have a stack of old DVD's I'm wanting to clean up/upscale.  I did read this past week where Pytorch is officially supporting GPU usage/access for ML processing on the M1/ARM stuff now but not sure how long that will take to trickle down to the more "mainstream" app code.

I have no problem if the answer to all the above is yeah, you're better off using Windows to do the Hybrid stuff and the Mac Hybrid is optimized for the x86 architecture. More or less i wanted to make sure I'm not using Hybrid wrong on my M1 Mac Mini and/or get some sort of insight on the future development of Mac Hybrid releases.

I'm glad to help out with testing new versions/sending logs/info as needed on the Mac side! You've got the Windows Hybrid dialed in! 

As usual, I greatly appreciate the awesome Hybrid app and you taking the time to help/answer questions posted!  Smile

Messages In This Thread
Hybrid Optimized for M1 Macs? - by shockaholic - 28.05.2022, 02:22
RE: Hybrid Optimized for M1 Macs? - by Selur - 30.05.2022, 11:41