This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[HELP] Can I use GPU acceleration with 970m
I just found this program hiding in my laptop, and after having found it I am very glad I did, as it does everything that I had to use 2 converters for in the past.
That aside I noticed people using hardware acceleration to boost the conversion speed. I have a Nvidia 970m on my laptop and the program recognizes it as such. Problem is I don't know what setting I have to find/change to enable acceleration via the 970m, or if there are specific limitations on encoder (265 vs 264) based on the age and architecture of my GPU that make these options unavailable automatically.
If anybody could help that would be fantastic. Smile
Depending on what you do there are multiple ways to use the gpu:
  • "Config->Input->Decoding->Use gpu for decoding" will tell Hybrid to use hardware decoding in case neither Avisynth nor Vapoursynth is used
  • "x264->Misc->Main->OpenCL" enabled x264s openCL based motion estimation (doesn't help much on most systems)
  • Depending on your drivers and GPU capabilities Hybrid offers you 'NVEnc' and 'NCEnc (ffmpeg)' (<-experimental) as encoders. Depending on you GPU NVEnc will support H.264 and H.265 encoding.
  • When using Avisynth (32bit) filters, some filters allow gpu assistance, which is usually enabled through a 'gpu' or 'opencl' option and there are also filters like NLMeansCL2, KNLMeans, fft3dgpu which are gpu based. In case you own DGDecNV from Donald Graft it can also be used through Hybrid as a source filter (you need to copy your DGDecNV files and your license.txt file into the Hybrid/32bit/avisynthPlugins-folder to use it). Additionally there is FRIM which is also a gpu based source filter.
  • When using Vapoursynth (64bit), like for Avisynth there a bunch of filters which are either GPU based or GPU assisted (again 'gpu' or 'opencl' option).
So yes, you probably can use GPU acceleration in Hybrid, whether it helps much or not depends on what you are doing. Whether NVEnc is available and what it's capable mainly depends on what NVEnc support for your gpu and whether your drivers allow NVEnc to support the gpu. (Usually it's advised to use the latest official NVIDIA drivers for your gpu, drivers that come with Windows from time to time lack the dlls to support NVEnc.)

Hope that helped a bit.

Cu Selur