This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[INFO] NVENC update thread
Hi!

First Question:

Can you add some new features to the NVENC encoder? I don't want to use the FFMPEG's Nvenc version, because it has worse quality than the "normal" NVENC.

I see this options in Xmedia Recode's NVENC:

Picture:

[Image: lFwrWNU.png]

For example: Adaptive B-frame, Blu-ray compatible, "Strict Gop" function, "Slow preset" (because some other softwares has not only the "high quality" and "performance" presets.)

Slow preset in Voucoder (an Adobe Premiere codec plug-in)

[Image: 7YAkwJ5.jpg]

Second Question:

Can you use a better/faster or more updated HW decoder for Hybrid, because it is extreme slow, that even my CPU decode option is 2 or 3 times faster than the HW accelerated decode option of Hybrid during an NVENC video compressions.

Xmedia recode has a very very very fast Cuda (yes it is also frame accurate) decoder option. Do you know which type of decoder do they use, which is so fast?

[Image: 8fevg6h.png]

Thanx!

Please, read the 'Infos needed to fix&reproduce bugs,..'-sticky before you post about a problem.
1. I can add support for:
--no-b-adapt                 disable adapt. B frame insertion
                                  for lookahead mode only, default: off
source: 'NVEncC --help'
and
--strict-gop                 avoid GOP len fluctuation
don't see any option for adaptive b-frames.
I don't plan to add support for:
H.264/AVC
   --bluray                     for bluray / default: off
The only presets I see are:
--preset <string>            set encoder preset
                                  default, performance, quality
so unless NVEncC adds support for other presets Hybrid can't add support for them.
-> If you want more features added to NVEncC, you need to contact the author of NVEncC. (https://github.com/rigaya/NVEnc)

2. Regarding hardware decoding Hybrid, read: don't know of any other free gpu based decoder which could be use.
No clue what Xmedia Recode uses.
As aside note, on my system using software decoding and hardware encoding is usually faster than hardware decoding and encoding, but I only encode my desktop machine which has a AMD Ryzen 7 1800X.

Cu Selur
Cu Selur
(28.06.2018, 17:54)Selur Wrote: 1. I can add support for:
--no-b-adapt                 disable adapt. B frame insertion
                                 for lookahead mode only, default: off
and
--strict-gop                 avoid GOP len fluctuation
don't see any option for adaptive b-frames.
I don't plan to add support for:
H.264/AVC
  --bluray                     for bluray / default: off
The only presets I see are:
  --preset <string>            set encoder preset
                                 default, performance, quality
so unless NVEncC adds support for other presets Hybrid can't add support for them.
-> If you want more features added to NVEncC, you need to contact the author of NVEncC. (https://github.com/rigaya/NVEnc)

2. Regarding hardware decoding Hybrid, read: don't know of any other free gpu based decoder which could be use.
No clue what  Xmedia Recode uses.
As aside note, on my system using software decoding and hardware encoding is usually faster than hardware decoding and encoding, but I only encode my desktop machine which has a AMD Ryzen 7 1800X.

Cu Selur
Cu Selur

Hi!

I've Core i7-6900K CPU , 16Gb ram, GF 1060 v.card. Interestingly, the only software is Hybrid, where hardware decoder option  causes very serious bottleneck for my machine.

The bottleneck situation is the same with my laptop: Acer Aspire 7 - A715-71G-53S6

I have no such HW decoder bottleneck (aka. low throughput) in other software.

If it is the only free HW decoder, (what I think it is the same in most other free softwares), than something is wrong in Hybrid. 
Simple solution: If you don't enable/use any of the offered -> don't use Hybrid
(28.06.2018, 20:56)Selur Wrote: Simple solution: If you don't enable/use any of the offered -> don't use Hybrid

The simple question will remain: what causes this bottleneck in Hybrid?
No clue, since I have no clue what you are doing exactly or what the other tools do.
Can have multiple causes. Smile
(29.06.2018, 05:13)Selur Wrote: No clue, since I have no clue what you are doing exactly or what the other tools do.
Can have multiple causes. Smile

see here :
Feature Set E

Similar to feature set D but added support for decoding H.264 with a resolution of up to 4096 × 4096 and MPEG-1/MPEG-2 with a resolution of up to 4080 × 4080 pixels. GPUs with VDPAU feature set E support an enhanced error concealment mode which provides more robust error handling when decoding corrupted video streams. Cards with this feature set use a combination of the PureVideo hardware and software running on the shader array to decode HEVC (H.265) as partial/hybrid hardware video decoding.

this might be reason : as ffmpeg is using hwaccell dxva2 then hevc is decoded on CPU for cards with this feature set. for  decoding it needs to use hwaccell cuvid ...
That still doesn't tell me what settings etc. you use.