This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Hybrid has been using a lazy DXVA based HW decoder, it must be change
Please, read the 'Infos needed to fix&reproduce bugs,..'-sticky before you post about a problem.

Hello Selur!

Hybrid has been using a slow DXVA HW decoder, which makes bottleneck in the encoding

In other encoders like StaxRip, there are options for CUDA decoder NVENC native decoder DXVA decoder, INTEL Decoders etc...

Just watch this picture:
[Image: HW_encoder.png]

HW decoders like Intel CUDA and NVENC native are so much faster than the DXVA decoder of Hybrid. 

Selur, why don't you integrate more free frame accurate HW decoder engines and options to the Hybrid which are faster than the present DXVA based decoder?

Please do not take it as an offensive critic, but rather a constructive critic.

Thank you!
Quote:Selur, why don't you integrate more free frame accurate HW decoder engines and options to the Hybrid which are faster than the present DXVA based decoder?
a. because nobody asked for it. I added support for selecting the hwaccell decoder used in ffmpeg a few days ago, see: https://forum.selur.net/showthread.php?tid=494 Note that this will only help if ffmpeg is the decoder of the source material.
So don't use Avisynth or Vapoursynth filters and no DVD input.
b. Hybrid does support DGDevNV (Avisynth), DGDecIM (Avisynth&Vapoursynth) and FRIM (Avisynth) as hardware based decoders.
c. when I implemented the decoder support ffmpeg only supported DXVA on Windows and I and for me software decoding is most times faster, since I rarely encode stuff which benefits from gpu support which my current gpu support.

Cu Selur
(03.07.2018, 17:34)Selur Wrote:
Quote:Selur, why don't you integrate more free frame accurate HW decoder engines and options to the Hybrid which are faster than the present DXVA based decoder?
a. because nobody asked for it. I added support for selecting the hwaccell decoder used in ffmpeg a few days ago, see: https://forum.selur.net/showthread.php?tid=494 Note that this will only help if ffmpeg is the decoder of the source material.
So don't use Avisynth or Vapoursynth filters and no DVD input.
b. Hybrid does support DGDevNV (Avisynth), DGDecIM (Avisynth&Vapoursynth) and FRIM (Avisynth) as hardware based decoders.
c. when I implemented the decoder support ffmpeg only supported DXVA on Windows and I and for me software decoding is most times faster, since I rarely encode stuff which benefits from gpu support which my current gpu support.

Cu Selur

DGDevNV is not a very advanced decoder and slow. Why don't you implement NVENC decoder, or other more efficient Cuda decoders? (Which can use the real speed of modern CUDA based Nvidia cards... 

I can't see any selector between hw decoders in Hybrid. Maybe you can add a similar simple quick selector button like StaxRip has. You can put it into a drop-down-menu in the the config =>input panel, instead of the simple "use GPU decoding" option.

There are huge differences and impact of decoders during the transcoding process. With the same encoder settings in the Staxrip, a slow HW decoder can do 50-80FPS, a faster HW decoder can feed the encoding process so fast, that it is over 400 - 500 FPS. That's why the selection option for decoders are so important. So it has very, very important effect, especially if you compress long blu-ray films.

Edit: DG (Donald Graft ???) decoders are really terrible slow, and I can see on my PC and Laptop, that they use the GPU extreme minimal level, unlike other decoders which use them much more, thus they produce a very fast feed for encoder process.
Quote:DGDevNV is not a very advanced decoder and slow.
DGDecNV does use the current nvida decoder, at least on normal Desktop machines they are not slow in any way. (assuming your card is capable enough)

Quote:Why don't you implement NVENC decoder
There is no such thing. NVEnc is the encoder and NVDec is the decoder,... there is no NVEnc decoder,...

Quote:I can't see any selector between hw decoders in Hybrid.
That is because I just implemented it a few days ago since nobody asked for it before.
-> will be in the next release

Quote:Maybe you can add a similar simple quick selector button like StaxRip has.
the attached screenshot show how it's available in Hybrid

That said, what Hybrid doesn't support is using NVEncC as Decoder and Encoder, since that would basically kill any filtering support.
If on your machine that is the only way to get decent speeds I would recommend to stick with StaxRip or other tools which support it, since I don't plan to implement it any time soon.

Cu Selur

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(03.07.2018, 18:10)Selur Wrote:
Quote:DGDevNV is not a very advanced decoder and slow.
DGDecNV does use the current nvida decoder, at least on normal Desktop machines they are not slow in any way. (assuming your card is capable enough)

Quote:Why don't you implement NVENC decoder
There is no such thing. NVEnc is the encoder and NVDec is the decoder,... there is no NVEnc decoder,...

Quote:I can't see any selector between hw decoders in Hybrid.
That is because I just implemented it a few days ago since nobody asked for it before.
-> will be in the next release

Quote:Maybe you can add a similar simple quick selector button like StaxRip has.
the attached screenshot show how it's available in Hybrid

That said, what Hybrid doesn't support is using NVEncC as Decoder and Encoder, since that would basically kill any filtering support.
If on your machine that is the only way to get decent speeds I would recommend to stick with StaxRip or other tools which support it, since I don't plan to implement it any time soon.

Cu Selur

It is a very important update. Why can't I download this modernised version of Hybrid? Or When will it be available on your site?

My biggest problem, that GPU decoding (GF. 1060) is 2 times slower than the CPU decoder in the present version of Hybrid.
I implemented it and I'm still waiting for feedback from the user that suggested it.
You can't download the version where I implemented it atm. since it's only available in my current dev builds which are not publicly available.
Personally I don't think it's an important update/change since like I wrote before on my system software decoding and hardware encoding is faster than using the gpu for decoding and encoding.
-> wait until I release the next public version (probably this Sunday)

Also note that the updated version might not really help on you since I suspect that StaxRips 'NVEnc Cuda'-Decoder might be Staxs way of saying NVEncC is used for decoding and encoding and not what Hybrid would use. Hybrids option would allow to set the hwaccel parameter of ffmpeg to cuvid&co.

Cu Selur
(03.07.2018, 18:38)Selur Wrote: I implemented it and I'm still waiting for feedback from the user that suggested it.
You can't download the version where I implemented it atm. since it's only available in my current dev builds which are not publicly available.
Personally I don't think it's an important update/change since like I wrote before on my system software decoding and hardware encoding is faster than using the gpu for decoding and encoding.
-> wait until I release the next public version (probably this Sunday)

Also note that the updated version might not really help on you since I suspect that StaxRips 'NVEnc Cuda'-Decoder might be Staxs way of saying NVEncC is used for decoding and encoding and not what Hybrid would use. Hybrids option would allow to set the hwaccel parameter of ffmpeg to cuvid&co.

Cu Selur

With HW decoding support the transcoding is always much faster on my system, the only exception is Hybrid. I can also test the speed of that new version, so you can paste a download link (if it is not a state secret), and I will download and test it with long blu-ray film materials. I would like to compress more than 8 TB films (two of my HDDs are full with them) and I want to free up some space.
Just in case you are not checking your PMs, I send you a link to a dev version which should allow using NVEncC as decoder and encoder like StaxRip does.

Cu Selur
Send you another PM which adds VPP filters for NVEncC, waiting for feedback.

Cu Selur