This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Reply to rant about why XP isn't supported
Since I got a mail from a troll yesterday I thought I address the issue of why I dropped Windows XP support.

Here's the mail I got from someone calling himself 'Balkan Guy':
Quote:Hybrid: It Fascinates Me U Have Brains 2 Write A Program But Not The Sense 2 Make It Work On 30% Of The World's PCs!
There is absolutely no advantage to having it be 64 bit or locked to Vista or above.  Stuff written for XP can work on ALL of those OSes.
GET A GRIP!  Still using the 'ancient' version of 'Handbrake' encoder interface because your junk, like most alternatives, is INFINITELY WORSE because it won't even run on XP.  If U want 2 do something useful, take the new version of Handbrake (which supports VP9), & add whatever other codec support U can (AV1 & WVC1?) & release it as an alternative version of Handbrake.  Make yourself useful instead of crowding the wrold with more useless, unusable $hit like 'MPV' = OMFG ~ as if a player should even exist without the ability 2 configure things? LOL!!!

All that work U have done, 4 nothing, because it won't run on so many MILLIONS of machines, & 4 NO good reason! =))

Hell, even 'MPC-HC' runs on XP!

Disregarding the 'tone' of that email I'll try to reply to it here:

I dropped Windows XP support, because it's a pain to maintain Windows XP versions of tools like x265, mkvtoolnix, ffmpeg which by default do not build any more with Windows XP. It is possible to build XP compatible versions, but it always requires a lot of time of patching the latest sources and compiling different versions.

That said, I'll try to reply to that email in more details:
Quote:It Fascinates Me U Have Brains 2 Write A Program But Not The Sense 2 Make It Work On 30% Of The World's PCs!
last I checked NetMarketShare Windows XPs market share was below 5%, not 30%.

Quote:There is absolutely no advantage to having it be 64 bit or locked to Vista or above.
Strange, x264/x265/Vapoursynth/... is like 5-10% faster on 64bit systems compared to 32bit and you don't have problems with 2GB memory limitations. (Which really is a good thing when filtering UHD content.)

Quote:GET A GRIP!  Still using the 'ancient' version of 'Handbrake' encoder interface because your junk, like most alternatives, is INFINITELY WORSE because it won't even run on XP.  If U want 2 do something useful, take the new version of Handbrake (which supports VP9), & add whatever other codec support U can (AV1 & WVC1?) & release it as an alternative version of Handbrake.
Problem with this is:
a. I don't like Handbrake at all
b. I don't see any good reason to use Windows XP on an encoding system that isn't like 10 years old. (Windows XP is like 17+ years old,..)
c. Trying to patch sources of x265, av1 and other codecs to make them XP compatible simply seems too much of a hassle.
d. As far as I know Handbrake itself dropped Windows XP support with version 0.10.0 back in May 2016, so making Handbrake Windows XP compatible isn't probably that easy either.

=> I feel sorry for those stuck with Windows XP and old tools and hardware that might require to use it, but I don't see me spending time on trying to get the tools Hybrid uses to be Windows XP compatible. It's simply not worth the time spend to me.

Cu Selur

Messages In This Thread
Reply to rant about why XP isn't supported - by Selur - 03.03.2019, 09:09