This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Add strobbing(blank frames) to videos
Hi so I'm trying to add a strobbing effect to videos, so strobbing is basically inserting a blank(black) frame after each real frame, e.g. Real frame > Black frame > Real Frame > Black frame etc...
As far as I can tell, I think I have to use either avisynth or vapoursynth for this? There's no native option for this?
Anyway, I made this script for avisynth:

blackframe=clp.blankclip()
interleave(clp, blackframe)

I insert the above in the custom section, with the option to insert at End.
Ok so the problem is that, it works, but it's about half the speed as it should be. I googled around and found a function to speedup the video, with AssumeFPS? So I tried this:

AssumeFPS(60)
blackframe=clp.blankclip()
interleave(clp, blackframe)

but this doesn't work. Anyone got any ideas?

I also tried vapoursynth, but for some reason when I try to insert a script in custom section, it always crashes, no matter the script, even if I disable the custom section it still crashes, I have to restart hybrid (or switch to avisynth then back to vapoursynth) for hybrid to work, but vapoursynth still won't work. Here's the vapoursynth script for reference:

import vapoursynth as vs

core = vs.get_core()
clip = core.std.AssumeFPS(video_in, fpsnum=24)
blank = core.std.BlankClip(clip)
clip = core.std.Interleave(clips = [blank, clip, blank, clip, blank, clip])

clip.set_output()
Quote:There's no native option for this?
No.

Quote:but it's about half the speed as it should be.
Enable "Filtering->Speed Change->Speed Settings->Change speed" and set it to 60fps.

About using the custom-option:
If you don't know how Avisynth/Vapoursynth works and how their scripts syntax works using the custom option is probably a bad idea.
Do look at the Avisynth/Vapoursynth Script View to see what Hybrid does with the custom addition you entered.

Also changing:
  • the frame count will mess with the progress indication, file size calculation, etc.
  • changing the resolution will cause Hybrid to crash or create invalid outputs
  • changing the frame rate will have no effect

Quote:Here's the vapoursynth script for reference:

import vapoursynth as vs

core = vs.get_core()
clip = core.std.AssumeFPS(video_in, fpsnum=24)
clip = core.std.Interleave(clips = [blank, clip, blank, clip, blank, clip])

clip.set_output()
that script naturally crashes since "video_in" is unknown.

simply using:
blank = core.std.BlankClip(clip, length=clip.num_frames)
clip = core.std.Interleave(clips = [blank, clip])
with Vapoursynth
or
clip = core.std.Interleave(clips = [blank, clip])
with Avisynth,
both create proper outputs here.

Cu Selur

Ps.: side note: if you use vfr video that isn't converted to cfr during the processing will produce asynchronous output.