This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Does Resize do anything if the Resolution is the same as the source
Can i ask a question about something I have wondered for years..

I have been resizing movies recently.. And sometimes forget to untick the Resize option after this, so when I do a "normal" re-encode (by this, I mean that I am just rencoded at a new audio/video bitrate) resize is still enabled..

Assuming the source file was 1920x1080 and resized is ticked with a Picture Resize Target is 1920x1080 does it do anything?

Is Hybrid clever enough to know that the source resolution is the same as the requested resize so ignores it. Or does it still go through a resize step?

And if it does resize, other than time, would this have any effect on Quality?
a. Hybrid does not add a Resizer when crop = resize resolution (not counting Waifu2x since it can be used for denoising)
b. Even if it did resizers usually do nothing if their input&output resolution is the same (unless the do other things at the same time like color range changes etc.) Time spend on the input = output resolution is so fast that it should not affect the speed in a noticeable way and it will not impact the quality.
=> If the source file isn't cropped and resizing doesn't change the resolution it isn't used.

Cu Selur
Cheers Selur. Thanks for taking the time to reply...

Stay Safe!