This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[HELP] how to using x265 in Hybrid correctly?
(15.04.2020, 15:16)Selur Wrote:
Quote:really?
yes, compare them at the same size, if you don't believe me. Smile
Quote:never use the 2pass, only 1-pass.
2pass is needed when you aim for a specific file size otherwise 1pass constant rate factor is to be recommended.

Cu Selur

sorry, i can't agree, here is my test for the two mode, one is average bitrate with 6345K, another is constant rate factor with 15, file size little difference, and the picture quality is almost the same:
https://c-t.work/s/97ed3100f47d49

here is the original file for test:
https://c-t.work/s/940d855966224c

(15.04.2020, 15:34)shijan Wrote:
Quote:great, thank you , so useful! but when to use Average bitrate mode to encode?

Constant rate is the only mode that you need to use. It just adjusts variable bitrate according to selected quality. Note that quality scale is very non linear. Quality within 20-19 will provide ok compression and small file sizes. 18-14 is near Blu Ray like quality i guess. Quality 10-2 is ok as intermediate or editing format. In addition min and max bitrate is limited by selected Profile Level.
Also you can limit Buffer size and Max fillrate in "Rate control" tab. For legacy devices and and Blu Ray players compatibility it is recommended to set Buffer size 30000 and Max fillrate 40000 (--vbv-maxrate 40000 --vbv-bufsize 30000)

thanks , learned a lot , but i still can't understand why not to use Average bitrate?

here is my test for the two mode, one is average bitrate with 6345K, another is constant rate factor with 15, file size little difference, and the picture quality is almost the same:
https://c-t.work/s/97ed3100f47d49

here is the original file for test:
https://c-t.work/s/940d855966224c
(15.04.2020, 13:53)shijan Wrote: Preset - Medium or Slow. (Don't use Slower or higher - they are too slow and less compatible)

i also tried the Slower and the Placebo, ther are not too slow, even fast, can't believe, you can try using my original file.
If you are happy with average bit rate and it's results no arguing with that.
Quality is in the eye of the beholder, so as long as you are happy with it stick with it.

As a side note: If all your source are like this, you could also go for hardware encoding using NVEnc.

Quote:Slower or higher - they are too slow and less compatible
Saying that slower presets are less compatible is simply wrong.
(15.04.2020, 17:21)Selur Wrote: If you are happy with average bit rate and it's results no arguing with that.
Quality is in the eye of the beholder, so as long as you are happy with it stick with it.

As a side note: If all your source are like this, you could also go for hardware encoding using NVEnc.

Quote:Slower or higher - they are too slow and less compatible
Saying that slower presets are less compatible is simply wrong.

yeah, so low quality suit for NVENC? there are two NVENC, one with (FFMPEG), which to use?

i also tried the Slower and the Placebo, ther are not too slow, even fast, can't believe, and the encoded file seems no difference.

[Image: 6NiXO.jpg]
Quote:yeah, so low quality suit for NVENC?
No, NVEnc is not low quality, it's just not as good as x264/x265 in fine detail retention, but with your source that doesn't really matter.
Quote:there are two NVENC, one with (FFMPEG), which to use?
Stick with NVEnc.
No difference because you transcode upscaled and smoothed DVD. Your source video examples with asian show don't have too many grain, fine details and textures to see too many difference in compression.
P.S. Most of those ultra slow presets where designed to provide maximum compression at very low bitrate and very small file size. I guess in current reality with cheap 10TB HDD and 2TB SSD drives it is way better to use simpler compression presets and just compensate quality loss with higher bitrate.
(15.04.2020, 17:53)Selur Wrote:
Quote:yeah, so low quality suit for NVENC?
No, NVEnc is not low quality, it's just not as good as x264/x265 in fine detail retention, but with your source that doesn't really matter.
Quote:there are two NVENC, one with (FFMPEG), which to use?
Stick with NVEnc.

i heard about that NVENC is using for NVIDIA card, and it encode much faster, but quality is not as perfect as CPU
Quote:i heard about that NVENC is using for NVIDIA card, and it encode much faster, but quality is not as perfect as CPU
Yes, the fine detail preservation is usually better with software (CPU) based encodings, but in your source there are no details to preserve so using software encoding and trying to tweak it simply seems like a waste of time.

Cu Selur