This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

When sources don’t fit a certain box.
I have 2 sources that need special care.

I know there are a million ways to do stuff. So i am reaching out.

The sources are:
NTSC super mario brothers super show with capt. lou albano
NTSC captain N and the game master. 

Both contain various amounts of live action and cartoon, but are predominately cartoon.

The live action is interlaced and would benefit from qtgmc bob. The cartoon is telecined and benefits from reverse telecine.
I don’t want to do variable frame rate, i think the best thing to do is to bring them both up to 59.94. The live action video with qtgmc bob, and the cartoon i want to remove all blended frames first, and replace them with the nearest neighbor. And then double the frame rate to match the live action parts. Rather than just qtgmc bob the whole thing. If that makes sense. 

1) Does that make sense to do 
2) are there better options?
Quote:I don’t want to do variable frame rate,
okay.

Quote:i think the best thing to do is to bring them both up to 59.94. The live action video with qtgmc bob,
okay
Quote:and the cartoon i want to remove all blended frames first, and replace them with the nearest neighbor. And then double the frame rate to match the live action parts. Rather than just qtgmc bob the whole thing. If that makes sense.
This sounds like a lot of work since you would have to manually specify the chunks that need to be just bobbed and the chunks where sRestore should bob and replace blends.

Have you tried to using QTGMC Bob + srestore with omode 3 or 4 ?
Quote: omode string (0-6 or mode, default 6)

Srestore can be used as blend-decimation-function, as simple deblend-function and for double-blend-removal

1 - deblend-mode 1 -> detected blends will be replaced with the previous frame
2 - deblend-mode 2 -> next frame is used instead of the detected blend
3 - deblend-mode 3 -> detected blends will be replaced with the neighbour that has the smaller difference
4 - deblend-mode 4 -> use the neighbour with the smaller blend-possibility
5 - deblend-special -> outputs the one of four frames with the smallest blend-possibility
>5 - blend-decimation -> for all decimation operations

The output-modes 1-5 are simple deblending modes, so the framerate will not change.

To enable the double-blend-removal you have to set a string for omode. This string decides about the postprocessing mode that is used on the restored frames:

pp0 -> the fastest mode, no postprocessing
pp1 -> use difference masking, higher quality and still good speed
pp2 -> use a special blurring mask on luma and chroma that reduces artefacts
pp3 -> combines postprocessing 1 and 2 -> slowest
see: http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Srestore

This should bob the whole thing (ntsc part have a duplicate every 5 frames) and if the blends are detected properly, you should end up with 59.94 fps with duplicates instead of blends. If this works reliable on your source it's way less time consuming. Smile

Cu Selur
I worry about duplicates on live action. That will cause jutter or stuttering

For animation which are usually wrought with duplicates Shouldnt matter as much
Yes, a different source requires different filtering. Smile

Cu Selur