This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[HELP] Movie Trailer - Fix needed
I've been given a DVD-R, made from an early 1980s PAL VHS dealer tape. To make matters worse, the tape was an NTSC to PAL conversion. The DVD is interlaced, bottom field first. The trailer itself also appears to have baked in interlacing (ghosting on some movement). I believe the trailer also runs at the same speed as the original, so will not require any slowing down.

I need to convert the trailer to progressive 23.976, and hopefully remove the baked in interlacing.

There is no other source for this trailer, unfortuantely.

Is there any way to fix this?
Probably not.
You can try to first bob the content, then apply sRestore to 23.976.
If you can send a link to me to a small sample of the source, I can look at it.

Cu Selur
(04.08.2021, 14:14)Selur Wrote: Probably not.
You can try to first bob the content, then apply sRestore to 23.976.
If you can send a link to me to a small sample of the source, I can look at it.

Cu Selur

The source is a trailer compilation, so is a 1.07 GB .VOB file. What is the best way to send a sample?
Got no special preference, but GoogleDrive is usually fast.

Cu Selur
Handbrake rip, no filters.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15ou2ZiL...sp=sharing
Reencode -> not usefull at all.
You could use mkvtoolnix to cut and split the original and output it as mkv.

Cu Selur
PM sent with link.
Okay, since it's 25fps interlaced:
  • keep the scan type as it is
  • enable "Filtering->(De-)Interlace->Telecine->QTGMC Vapoursynth->Bob" (this brings it to 50fps)
  • set "Filtering->(De-)Interlace->Telecine->QTGMC Vapoursynth->Preset" to "Slower"
  • enable "Filtering->Vapoursynth-Frame->Reduction->sRestore"
  • enable "Filtering->Vapoursynth-Frame->Reduction->sRestore->Frate"
  • set "Filtering->Vapoursynth-Frame->Reduction->sRestore->Frate" to "23.976" (this brings it to 23.976fps while only trying to keep no-ghosting frames)
  • optionally set "Filtering->Vapoursynth-Frame->Reduction->sRestore->Speed" to "-25" and try whether adjust the threshold (Thresh) helps if there are scenes with still some ghosting in it.
from there 'normal' filtering is probably the way to go.

Cu Selur
Thanks, I will let you know how it goes.
Also check the Vapoursynth Preview when only the bobbing is enabled to see what sRestore is working with, so you don't try to tweak the setitng to archive something that isn't there.

Cu Selur