This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

DVD to MKV
Hi there

I'd like to be able to use Hybrid to encode DVDs to MKV instead of using MakeMKV to create MKVs first. However. from looking at Hybrid, I cannot see how to extract to more than one video?

Can anyone recommend other DVD extraction programs that are more reliable than MakeMKV (even paid ones)?
Just look for Smartripper or DVDdecrypter for example.
They csak rip streams from DVD structure.
Few days before i used them for converting DVD with Hybrid.
BTW both of them r abandonware!
Hybryd can transcode with Vapoursynth only first stream. Selur explained that it is due strange limitation in FFmpeg.

But you can use Passtrough mode and remux desired chapters and streams to MKV.
Next you can import them to Hybrid, deinterlace and transcode to any other format.

Beware that in many situations NTSC DVDs may be muxed incorrectly (by Hybrid and by MKVtoolNix-based apps as well) and apps also can read those MKV-remuxes incorrectly and deinterlace incorrectly. This happens due damaged DVD source or due different metadata settings between linked VOB files. It is unknown if those difference in VOBs exists due some DVD authoring mistake or if that is some part of copy protection system.
It is always better to import DVD source directly and transcode it.
It was a discussion about this problem some time ago https://forum.selur.net/thread-1942-post...l#pid12788
Some problems described in that thread where fixed in last development versions, but some problems seems impossible to fix because they are not Hybrid problems but specific problems in specific DVD sources.
You could remux unencrypted DVDs to mkv using Hybrid.
You can't use Avisynth or Vapoursynth on DVD input other than the first video stream since neither FFmpeg, Vapoursynth, Avisynth do understand tiles, chapters, etc. selections.

If you load a DVD source, you can select Title (+ Angle) + Video etc. and remux it, since I don't really get what you want that isn't possible, I can't say more. Smile

Cu Selur